Do I need to join a gym to get a really good exercise routine in?

Collin McShirley, LMFT

I love helping people overcome challenges with food, depression, and anxiety. My work with clients is nonjudgement, supportive, and kind.

YoursTrulyBen
Not at all! Bodyweight exercises are effective in getting in shape. You can devise an effective routine involving different bodyweight exercises for different body parts using key movements like the pushup, squat, pullup and situp. There's tons of variations to these exercises ; you can keep on devising routines just around those four exercises! Can you master every variation?
EmpatheticSoul28
A person can exercise from anywhere. A jog outside is just as good as running on a treadmill at a gym. There are plenty of workouts where you don’t need a gym. Take swimming, biking, and hiking for example!
rebecca947
Definitely not! Although the gym has a lot of good equipment to help you, they aren't always necessary. There are heaps of videos online on YouTube with fitness-dedicated channels and show you workouts you can follow. My favourite is Blogilates- It's a pilates-bazed channel, with some cardio and flexibility workouts too. There are also many websites online that outline possible workout routines too. Plus, there are many apps that you can download on your phone, such as 7 Minute Workout and Couch to 5K, for some examples.
Anonymous
Absolutely not! I use YouTube as a reference. There's this great walking at home series! Anyone can do it.
bountifulWhisper17
Joining a gym is not completely necessary to get a good exercise routine in but it definetly makes having a routine easier since all the materials that you may need will be in the same place.