How do I stay motivated when I am not seeing results?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Laurianne
Be patient is the only thing to do. Rome was not build in one day. It can be a long road to reach success. It's important to set little goals because one big goal make us loose the main intention
SympatheticPrune2001
Keep trying and trying, don't give up. If at first you do not succeed, try, try again, like they say.
Elljoy
Hang in there, keep on going! You've made results by simply getting up to make a change - that's progress and if you give up now, you could lose your initial motivation. You came this far, keep up the good work! You'll notice a difference when you quit watching it- stay busy!
hanalokahi
I like to make a pros and cons list related to my goals. This way I have a visual of why I'm working toward something with a list of all of the reasons why it's so important for me to keep moving forward.
milomom13
That is a great question, and something that I have struggled with also. Motivation has to come from within, and results are something that is reflected outwardly, so my suggestion is to try to find something within you. For example, I have trouble staying motivated to exercise when I am not seeing physical results, so instead I focus on how running/swimming/biking makes me feel. I usually find that I feel accomplished, happier, and more at peace with myself while I am exercising and afterwards. So I use that as my inward motivation. Sometimes, knowing that you are taking steps in the right direction can be enough to motivate you. Other times, stress and anxiety can come up if you know you are putting something off, so that can also be a form of motivation. I hope this has helped!
PixelPeculiarity
I stay motivated by thinking positively. If you don't keep going you won't see any results at all but if you stay and try, you'll find that there will be eventually
TheLilyPond
Whether it be exercise or school, or anything really, I think its important to focus on improvement and the progress (even if that means a step backward), rather than the results. I used to be a perfectionist, always striving for really high grades, high performance in sports etc, but I found that I was never happy when I focused on the results. For myself, the results I wanted to achieve were unattainable anyways, so it was a lost cause. When I started focusing on the process and what it meant to me to learn, or play basketball, and solely on the motivation that I was okay with the result as long as I was focused on my progress and something positive I could take from the experience. Even if I didn't end up where I thought I'd be or wanted to be, that was okay and that learning through the process was the most important thing for me.
amazingPuppy99
Staying focused on your goal is the key. You may not see results until you get closer to your goal. For instance, baking cookies. Simply adding flour to a bowl will not make cookies, but it's a good first step. You need to preheat the oven, mix all ingredients and place in the oven. What are the steps you need to take to reach your goal?
Anonymous
You have to remember that everything is a process. Think of your project as a building. The first thing you have to do is build a solid foundation, without it all your other work may sink. This is the hardest part and also the least visible. The building that will stand on the foundation can be as beautiful as you want it to be, but without the foundation it would crack and fall.
Anonymous
Depending on what you're trying to do for the motivation and the progress will determine what and why you're not seeing results. Results won't always be automatic, you don't just wake up tomorrow and see all the hard work done now. It takes a while and you'll notice subtle progress but you just want to keep at it at a regular pace and all and then eventually others and you will notice.
Anonymous
Keeping your eye on the prize always, Don't lose sight of your goals and keep on trying, When you don't see results, Look at that as an opportunity to try harder next time and keep trying until you succeed. It will be the greatest feeling when you truly achieve your goals and see results whilst achieving.
RawM3at
I'd say the best way to stay motivated is to stop focusing on your final results. Do what you are doing, make it a routine and try to enjoy it as much as you can. Consider the path more important than the destination
Anonymous
Make allowances and rewards for yourself. Limit treats, but don't eliminate them entirely. If you deprive yourself of some of your favorite things, you might overindulge later. Learn to live with the foods you love, rather than avoid them entirely. And as for rewards, don't just think big picture. You need rewards for those check points, too. Have you exercised every weekday for two weeks? Great -- reward! Lost that first 10 pounds? Awesome -- reward. It can be a nap, a day of shopping -- whatever would motivate you to keep going. There's always punishments, too. If you miss a workout, that's $5 put in the jar that's going toward your husband's/son's/best friend's beer fund. No excuses!
Anonymous
Always remember the reason why did you start. Picture the happiness when you finally achieve what you desire. Never give up.
BazinYEG
I'm learning that wellness is a process that can have great leaps forward, plateaus, and even regressions, the latter two are the most difficult to manage, as we, as people, can struggle without concrete forward motion. But what I like to think of is what my personal trainer showed me during a weight plateau during fitness training. The scale showed the same weight - but my body composition had changed drastically. My body fat had declined and my muscle % had increased. What I'm getting at is: The metric you're looking at might not show changes - but looking at things from a different perspective will show you something different.
PuddinsHarlee
The easiest way to stay motivated when not seeing results is to remember that you are looking for progress and not perfection.
Politewinter5
People usually take things one day at a time, it is very hard to stay motivated and its always good to focus on your goals and to never give up.
beautifulLion03
You have to remember that results can be seen in the long term the only thing that can keep you going in the meantime is the self-satisfaction of doing the right thing, just stop looking for results and try to remember why you are doing this!
Paperdolly
Sometimes it's hard to stay motivated when you don't see the results you are expecting. I've been going to the gym regularly for the past year and in the beginning I could see my body changing very quickly, but lately I feel like I have plateaued. I have to keep reminding myself that while I may not be seeing the numbers change on the scale, there are other changes happening in my body: my measurements are changing and my energy and stamina are both increasing. And, no matter what, I'm still in a better place than I was last year.
1musicloverever
Try to think of stress as motivating; not crushing. When you flip that switch,things that you previously thought impossible are suddenly within reach.
benevolentBlanket64
"Rome was not built in a day". When you don't get the results you expect, just keep working because you might just get a reward exceeding your expectations later on. Persistence is the key.
Anonymous
Results come from daily progress over a period of time. Try to focus on your long term goal. Progress isn't linear in anything, so stay consistent and you'll get there! It's always good to reflect on how far you've come and all of your accomplishments so far....that's a great source of motivation that is unique to you!
Asja
That results you're not seeing may be just small ones, you need to keep your vision on those big ones and never quit because you never know what waits for you next.
gentleWinter41
The only way up is to start at the bottom. Rome was not built in a day and things that really matter take time. Some of the greatest things that we have today took time to build. All you have to do is work harder, better and smarter and ask for help. Never be too big to ask for help. Anyone who has said they got results by doing it him/herself is leaving out an integral part of the story. Whether it is your grades, weight, family or personal life or any other issue, just remember that you came this far and that extra push may just be the effort you need to see results. Don't give up and be your biggest cheerleader!
LinearWaves
Getting results up to your efforts can take some times, it's just like planting a seed, you have to let it grow and take care of it to see it bloom. But efforts are always rewarded in some way, staying motivated and not giving up is part of the process. Results will come at some point, keep going!
SimplyDaniel
Remember learning something you now take for granted; results will come, maybe not today but tomorrow or the day after. Do not give up.
Ckul
Hi stranger! With everything in life, I understand it could be extremely demotivating to not see immediate results. A quote that always helped me push forward is "you don't set out expecting to build a house everyday - you set out to lay each brick as perfectly as you can, and eventually you'll have the house worth being proud of." Hope this helps!
HelpfulArina
1. Remember why you started. 2. Consider the results that you are striving for. Why are you doing this? How do you think you will feel once the results are reached? 3. Make a vision board! Pictures, quotes, cartoons, plans... Anything that helps! 4. Consider the results that you have accomplished since the moment you started. Maybe some are not physical, but rather mental. 5. Remember that setbacks and mistakes are a part of the journey. One bad day, or week, or month, does not mean the end or failure. You can always, ALWAYS, bounce back. Trust me on this one. 6. Be patient. As the saying says, "Where thoughts go, energy flows." 7. And finally, believe in yourself!
ChaiKa
Here are some suggestions. 1. Focus on what you can do, instead of the results. Monitor and track your progress of the type of exercise, and how much you can do. [example, I can do 1 push up, 3 days later, I can do 2 push up. This is an achievement] 2. Paradigm Shift. Focus on positive thoughts. This is going to be difficult. But instead of 'if only... i wish...' change it to 'I can' and 'I am' 3. Don't give up. Everyone body is different. You have started your journey, why give up now? It might take months or years. Just keep going, you will reach your goal one day.
Anonymous
Remember why you are doing what you're doing. It might help to do some soul-searching and thing about what you really want. When it seems like you aren't reaping any results, it can help to remember why you're doing what you're doing and to focus on the end goal