How do I stay motivated when I am not seeing results?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

FallenWinterSoldier
Results come at different times for different people. Don't lose motivation! If you don't see results try something else maybe. Attitude is a key part of motivation and results. When a person doesn't see results they don't feel motivated and may quit. When a person gets results they will feel excited and want to keep going.
giggleShoulder61
Sometimes you don't see results immediately but they are happening every day you work towards your goal. It's like learning an instrument. You won't play Bach in a day, but if you keep trying, you'll be amazing
CLMarshal57
Just remember the reason why you started in the first place. For example, if you started working out it was probably because you wanted to lose weight. And also keep in mind that it might take a while to start seeing results. Just think about how happy and pleased you will be with yourself once you finish your target.
Kalit0
Visiting new places can improve your mood and senses. places you've never been to. try to keep yourself around positive people and ignore negative people
VanessaGraceStory
Don't expect results as the reason to get motivated, be motivated because you want to and you will enjoy yourself more when the results do show. Or try something different to get the results. This all depends on the situation and person at hand though.
Aasyed
It is often difficult to keep on track with your efforts when you think that the results are not showing up to be as good or as quickly as your efforts deserve in return. The first thing that needs to be done is to find out what is countering the effects of your efforts. One way to push yourself is to become convinced that even if you're stuck at a certain level, it would be lot worse had you not done all the hard work in the first place.
Anonymous
Patience is key. I think very often people expect results within their desired time frame and once that doesn't happen they feel disheartened. My suggestion to you would be to focus on putting in your 100% and being patient and having faith that the tide will turn in your favor, Good luck mate !
Anonymous
Try to remind yourself that not all results are instantaneous, and look back at where you were when you started your journey. How far have you come? What's changed since you started towards your goal? Try talking to others about what it is you hope to achieve, see if you can express your feelings about the end result to them so they can share in your enthusiasm.
Anonymous
There are always going to be results, maybe they aren't the ones you were expecting, maybe (usually) they take a lot more time that you thought they would, but the most important thing is to keep going, it's hard when you don't see the results but at the end, there are going to be some so just think about that, concentrate on the goal you want to reach and slowly, you will reach them. Have faith in yourself, do the things that make you happy to not obsess on results and continue doing your best. There cannot not be results to something you work hard on, GO YOU!
emilyslistening40
This can be really deflating and makes you feel that all your hard work is for nothing. I like to try to remind myself nothing happens overnight and some changes take longer than we think. Occasionally if I am feeling this way I will often make myself still complete whatever I feel deflated in for example go to the gym despite not seeing results. Its important to push through these feelings and teach yourself perseverance.
beautifulGrace82
That depends on what you’re doing/not seeing the results of. If it’s fitness/health related, keep living well until you notice change or feel better. It might help to establish accountability with someone you trust and lean on them for moral support. If you’re feeling bored with what you’re trying to do, it might help to shake up your routine a bit and look for change based on that.
karenw
sometimes results take time to show. some things are not instant. try to be patient and think about the progress you have made so far.
Anonymous
Remind yourself why you started. It's really important. Or you can read motivational quotes. That helps a lot.
colourfulwriter54
By remembering why you started and that giving up is never the option. Maybe re-evaluating and editing your methods would be a better idea. Do it the Tony Stark way
EmmaMaeCoach
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you are trying to reach a goal you set for yourself and you're losing motivation, it could be because you're taking steps that are too large or because you weren't motivated to reach the goal in the beginning. If you're still struggling with this, you can try talking to a life coach that focuses on goals, we have all sorts of resources and tools to help you find your motivation again, even if you aren't seeing results.
admirableBeauty84
December 23rd, 2017 2:21am
Remember that the steps are just as important. The result is their in taking the steps even when we cannot see the big picture at the time.
awesomeRose64
December 23rd, 2017 4:10pm
Very often people think of the big goal and don't pay much mind to the little milestones along the way. It's hard to measure the difference between the you that started doing something a day ago versus the next day, but the longer the period of time, the easier it is to locate the growth you've made. Even if you can't find a way to look back on what you've done so far, make it a point to divide your big goals into many smaller ones (i.e. reading 20 minutes of a book a day, going for a 40 minute walk every day, write a blog post once a day / week, practicing drawing / sketching one picture everyday, etc.), so that you'll be able to look back on the results you've made clearly.
allnaturalUnicorns70
I'm assuming that your plan is intrinsically sound (if it's possible that it isn't working and needs tweaking, that's something else). Some people keep a picture of what the end result will look like nearby as a talisman of sorts. Others promise themselves a prize or reward for sticking to a plan (small for just the day or two, or large for a serious commitment). Think of how you might motivate someone you supervise, and try that on yourself!
Anonymous
Everything takes time to develop. You need to understand that the long term goal will come, try to focus on keeping at it and eventually you will see results.
awesomeFish66
I stay motivated by knowing that one time I’ll see off the chart scores and by working hard I can achieve that
PosiPotato
Know that if you stop, you won't see anything at all! Results come when you work, keep in mind that you may need to try something new to keep up with the results. There is ALWAYS something new that can be tried. Don't give up when you don't see something, that something WILL come. One thing that is for sure, if you don't try... nothing will come and that's a fact!
MotherWillow93
Find tutorials, videos, pictures of the goal you are trying to achieve and keep practicing. For example with exercise, find a new activity to do that sparks your interest. Make learning fun for you! Remind yourself that change takes time. If time goes by and still no results, you may want to consider changing your methods of getting there a bit, but never change the goal.
Anonymous
Sometimes seeing no results can be your source of motivation. It will push you to try harder and stay determined to achieve the results you wish to see. Just be patient and allow time.
Caringheart23
It's hard to stay motivated if the result is not seen soon enough. Try to set small goals that will lead to a big one. It's always more motivating to be proud for being able to run 400 meters without break than being frustrated for not being able to run a marathon :) we have a saying in Slovakia : you'll get further if you walk slowly ;)
Anonymous
Change things up a bit! Revise your plan, change what isn't working and promote and keep using what is!
Anonymous
Don't focus on the result but on the process, enjoy the learning journey. There is no instant success and everything needs process, if the process good then the result also good
JolivetteListens
Staying motivated is a big challenge, in particular, when you aren't seeing results as quickly as you would like. Journaling successes, no matter how small, might be a great way to stay motivated. How do you think of tracking your progress in that way?
Anonymous
Something that’s always kept me going was the hope that I need to grow more and learn more to finally achieve the results I’m aiming for. Also repeating the quote “Rome wasn’t built in a day” constantly reminds me that great things that are worthy take time. I hope this helps you.
Anonymous
The best way to stay motivated when you don’t see results is remembering the reason you started and know that results take time to show,but are worth it at the end
Power14
I know it can be tough when you keep trying and not getting positive results. But remember when a stone is broken by a hammer only last hit break it but that doesn't mean all previous hits were useless, it made rock weaker. Similarly if we keep trying even when we don't see positive results we can keep trying. Our efforts will make us learn new things. Our matrices of success should be positive. Seeing positive side if everything can help us in staying motivated. Hope it helps.