How do I stay motivated when I am not seeing results?

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

kindSong42
February 3rd, 2022 9:51pm
I have been on a long journey with myself. Sometimes you don't see results, sometimes it takes years and you just want to give up. However, the reality is that I continued to work until I got the results I wanted. Encouragement from the people around me helps a lot! Most of all when things get really tough and it feels like I have no hope I push even harder and that usually helps me to see more results. The game is one of give and take. It's difficult, draining, and even challenging near the end of the journey, but eventually worth it.
Anonymous
Set yourself one specific, achievable goal. Think about how to include that goal in your life, what you need do to make it happen, and then put a timeframe on it (such as a week). Break your goal into small, easy tasks and set regular reminders. Use your family and friends as support – tell them about your goals and encourage them to help keep you motivated. Make your goal part of your routine by using a diary or app for reminders. Positive self-talk is important and effective in managing depression or anxiety. Instead of saying 'I can't', say 'I can try'. Mindfulness helps keep you relaxed and focused. Start a class or join a support group. Support groups can be as effective as professional help. Reward yourself when you have completed a step or goal.
Anonymous
Personally, I believe there is no such thing as motivation. Instead, I like to refer to the process of sticking to work as being consistent. Consistency is what will eventually show you those results. Sometimes those results cannot be visually seen and they are already there even if you can't notice them. Agin, depends on the "results" that you are looking for. If materialistic, stay consistent with some SMART goals, small goals, and practice delayed gratitude. Focus is what mainly makes people successful, especially in today's world where it is very simple to get distracted and have stolen your own precious time. Good luck!!
Anonymous
How do I stay motivated when nothing gets in my favour even if I am working hard but doesn't get satisfying result all the time? Thanks for the A2A. “ YOU CAN EXECUTE A PLAN PERFECTLY, BUT THERE CAN BE A PERFECT STORM THAT FOLLOWS YOU,OR UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES, SO YOU MUST ADAPT” May be there would be a storm that would be in your path, wait for that storm to pass, BELIEVE ME it’s going to pass, because nothing in life is permanent . Try to adjust yourself to the situation, make a new plan, work smartly hard not just hard. Sometimes we are quite obsessed with working hard philosophy that we work extremely hard but towards the wrong direction. Take a break from your work , sit alone at your place and just try to figure o You are not getting satisfying result all the time. Look into the following points :- Are you adopting the same procedure each time, if so the results will also be the same. You have to try different methods. 2. Are your goals logical and achievable. Once again look into your goals and correct it if required. 3. Are you working on the right way. Look into it. 4. Certain goals need time. Keep trying and wait for appropriate time. Finally keep options/alternatives open. You must foresee alternatives. I.e if this doesn't work I will try that, and that also doesn't work I Will try another. More the alternatives more the chance of success. Main goal will be one, but ways may be plenty. Why can't I be motivated forever. After some time I lost my zeal to work hard and again need motivation? How do I stay motivated when nothing is happening no matter how hard I try? How can a person stay motivated even after not getting any results from hard work? Thanks for A2A . Nothing in your favour means your are going through tough time and facing your bad days. See it's a part of life at one time you will be having good days and some other time you will be having bad days and that's called life. Life is like a curve which moves in a U Shape that is good time and then bad times then again good time and again bad time and it will continue. No one on earth has always got good time or bad time, everyone goes through it.Actually unknowingly we are attached to good days and we are afraid of our bad time and we pray to god we don't want bad time or only Active training is about first breaking down everything you want to achieve into their smallest parts. Next you need to work on small parts daily in a variety of ways. Work for 15 minutes to change and improve one part of what you do. Then access whether the new way is more productive then the old way. If it’s not go back to the old way and continue improving other aspects of your job. Also work outside your career to make contacts and get different perspectives on life by interacting with people in other careers. There are many facets to life that make us successful. Focus on a few of them daily Well, we never get expected results most of the times and that is main reason people give up Try to do these things: Set realistic goals. Most of the time, we set unrealistic goals in enthusiasm and failing to achieve them makes us sad. Maintain a journal about what went wrong. Reflecting upon failures will make you see where you are lagging behind and will keep you motivated. Whenever you feel down, listen to some motivational stuff. Always tell yourself “I already know what giving up feels like. I want to see what happens when i don’t” Wish you luck! :) Redefine our bench marks and see why you have failed. Set daily or hourly goals and see how you can achieve them. After analyzing why you are failing then see how much of it you can control and how much is beyond your control. Do you really have the passion to do what you are doing. If not see how you can build interest in what you do. Never compare yourself with others and get dejected. First see whether your hard work is in a disciplined way or you are simply thinking that you are working hard. When hard work doesn’t seem to pay off, determination is all that matters. You already have the courage to work hard and that’s great but never relent. Just keep your faith strong because even if you get discouraged and not work hard, there still won’t be results. When I was teen and I did something wrong to upset my dad he’d say ‘people that are doing things right have still not gotten a reward not to mention you that is that the wrong thing so change’ therefore, find something that helps and motivates you to do better. Find a reason that makes you enjoy pushing further. For me I just know that I have to overcome all obstacles with family's help and be successful, I want to give my future kids the best and live a comfortable life. These are the reasons that motivates me. If others can work hard and be successful, believe me you would too it’s just that the time it would take Joseph to achieve his goal isn’t the same time it’ll take Josephine to achieve hers and your time is coming.
Anonymous
You are an awesome person and if you want something you will get it. Maybe you can try making smaller goals, keep learning from your mistakes. The psychology behind motivation is all about resistance and solution. Feeling like you’re forced to do something (resistance) will yield very different results than when you choose to do something (solution). In the same way that thinking you can’t do something (resistance) creates a different mind-set to embracing a tough challenge (solution). You can also take breaks..they do help in recharging. It’s important to embrace and celebrate each and every small success. They will serve as positive reminders of what you are capable of doing and how much you’ve achieved so far.
Ganimed
December 3rd, 2022 3:15pm
Look at it realistically. Can your results be gained in the time period you wish to gain them? Or does it take for the process to give you results only after a certain amount of time? For some goals it may take a month, for others 6, 7 or more months. What is important that you picked the right stuff to make your goals more achievable and that you stick to your plan the much you can. If you really think that you should gain your results much earlier, then perhaps you lack something in your process to achieve it.