How can I change how my family feels about me? I'm treated like the black sheep.

Kim Hughes, LCSW

It is my passion to help people through rough patches in life and those struggling with anxiety, depression, self-worth, and issues related to sexual orientation and identity.

Anonymous
Talking to them about how you're feeling is a good idea. Expressing that you feel a certain way might bring it light. They may not realize they treat a certain way. Communication is usually the best idea!
HopieRemi
Feeling like the black sheep of the family can be frustrating and depressing. You can change the way your family feels about you by communicating. Open up to them about how you feel. But you should know, it's not always possible to change someone's mind.
Zozzie
Have you identified anything that could be causing you to be treated in this way? If not, maybe ask someone what they think of you... If so, consider whether it is something you can compromise on - maybe they let you be you in exchange for you changing something else... If you want to understand what their issue is with you, maybe ask someone who won't attack you, but rather give you a direction so that you can decide whether you should change yourself, or help others understand that you shouldn't have to.
HelperDidi
You can start by analyzing why you feel like the "black sheep". Once that's done, you can work on solving those problems/issues. If that doesn't help or you do not find any actual issues, you can always talk to your family about how you feel. Honesty and communications are always the key in those situations!
heartfulSmiles35
Being treated like a black sheep is not nice :( perhaps talk to them or confront them and explain how you feel?
Redr
I suppose the real question is why they view as different from them? It's important to not sacrifice your sense of self but understandable you'd want to 'fit in'; try to find a balance between the two by answering the real question..
ItsAlyssa
Well talk to yoir parents about it tell them how you feel and make tjem understand how you been feeling
Anonymous
I can relate. I am treated like the black sheep in my family too. I just continue being who I am and not allow another person to define me. Also, when you deal with them, deal with them with love and kindness. Eventually, they will see how wonderful you are. If they don't, it won't matter because you will see how wonderful you are and that's all that matters.
braveSoul96
You are one of a kind clearly! You don't need to fit in, find your own self and interests. Popularity will follow with confidence and self-security.
freshFriend18
Me too, but we will survive it. Be yourself but don't be annoying to others, take a step back - we are not always where we come from.. some of us are different than the people around us but we all need to co-exist in some kind of harmony.
Anonymous
I know it's hard to feel that way. You should start by giving yourself some time to think this thru. Then when your certain you want to talk to them you should sit down maybe have a meal and start by telling them how you feel. If they don't understand you then you should ask them why they do this.
Anonymous
You can't control your family's feels, but you can control yourself, treat yourself with full respect, the respect you wanted to see in their eyes.
dancingJoy75
Be kinder to yourself. Once you love yourself more others will too. Your family will see this and respect you more.
Anonymous
You shouldn't go through life wanting to change people's feelings about you, you can only change yourself.
Anonymous
I know how this feels , as a person who always had different views , values and priorities than the others , I was always left out in my family. Remember that no matter what , you should never change yourself just for others to accept you. What you can do is to sometimes compromise and if you can , focus on what you and the others in the family have in common, and try to build a more harmonious relationship. If they won't try too however , it is not your fault. It is their loss , and you can find wonderful people to be like a second , true family.