How can I get my parents to start trusting me?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW, LICSW

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

Garethn22
The best way to earn trust from my own experience is to be really open with your parents - they want to support you. Open up with them and be honest. You'll have trust in no time 😊
Alwaysdreamin
I believe you can gain your parent's trust by showing them respect and expecting the same in return and by communicating your needs to your parents. Let then know you want to be trusted and show them that you deserve to be trusted by being honest with them about things and doing the right thing when faced with a dilemma. Listen to your parents' point of view and hear them out. Then, you could earn your parent's trust by listening to what they have to say and realizing that they have ideas and suggestions that are helpful to you. Most parents want to trust their children. Show them that they can trust you.
beautifulParadise07
At the first place, our parents have already given us the trust. But then, we are the ones who are always have the guts to broke it. Well, i think you should speak to them. Tell them that you've changed. And at last, ACTIONS SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS. You have to prove them that you can really be trusted. Since TO SEE IS TO BELIEVE matters, well i guess you really have to show them that you are trustworthy again. Start it from small way, small things up to big ways, big things. :)
Anonymous
By behaving well under their rules.... sounds a little over-simplified, but that is the easiest way to get their trust: earn it :)
Anonymous
Without knowing your exact situation? Honesty, honesty in all facets. Sometimes it will get you into trouble, but if they know you'll come clean if something goes awry, they will trust you always. Nevertheless, staying out of legal trouble, and out of school trouble too for that matter, will generally help. Most parents are predisposed to trust their kids. Best of luck.
jadedsakura6
Do good, keep yourself out of trouble. Show them you study and help around the house specially when needed.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2015 8:06am
It honestly depends on what type of parents you have. My parents won't trust me no matter what I do.
ActiveListener0809
Show them with actions that you can be trusted and do things that will them see that you car how they feel.
Anonymous
do something that builds their trust over you or accomplish what you have started...ask them to give you a chance to pove yourself and make them proud
Anonymous
by letting them see and know pretty much anything they need to gain trust so they can stop inquiring about your life/activities and trust you more
Trust cannot be bought or found. You will need to work hard to gain it back. Try by 1st never doing what you did to lose their trust in the first place. Then show them that you can handle whatever it is that they don't trust u can do. Some people need to see it to believe it.
HereToHelpYou742
The best way is to start telling them about how you feel and what you are going through. So they can understand how to help
Anonymous
Do things that make them happy. Remember, if you've broken their trust in you before, it might take quite a long time. Just show them that you've changed, not by saying it, just by acting upon it.
Anonymous
An open dialogue is incredibly important. By trusting them with information (only that that is safe to disclose) you show yourself as trustworthy yourself.
Anonymous
In order to get your parents to start trusting you, you have to first give them a reason to trust Do something that you know they would appreciate you doing without them asking. Have a mature talk with them about the way you are feeling and about what is going on in your life at the moment. Obey their rules and do the things that you are expected of you. In order for parents to trust you, you have to show them that you can be trusted, and that you will follow the rules even if they are not around, Show them that you have integrity.