How can I help a family member experiencing depression?

Rory Boutilier, Registered Professional Counsellor

I use a client-centered, solution-focused approach. Particular interests in: depression, anxiety, life stress, change, and self-injury.

Anonymous
Best way is showing that you are there to support them. Be there for them to talk to when they are feeling down. Plan activities to keep them distracted from their emotions/thoughts. If depression is severe help seek treatment.
Anonymous
let them know that you are there, you don't have to understand the illness or have it yourself, but actively letting them know that you are there to support them and that you understand that they're going through difficult times can be the best thing to tell them. it lets them know that they are not completely alone.
lovelyDreamer51
I understand that the situation you are in is hard. All you can do it be there for them and give them advice, maybe they could even chat to one of our listeners here at 7 Cups. Have you suggested a therapist? It is a great way of battling depression. But just support them and let them know they always have somebody to talk to.
starryRiver83
People suffering depression need to know that there is someone who is willing to support them. I think it is brilliant that you want to help. Firstly, they need someone who will listen, will not judge or insinuate that their feelings don't matter. They need to know that there is help available to them and where to look and sometimes, they would like to have someone there who can help take their mind off things which are causing them to feel so low. If you can do that, then it is a brilliant start. Never be worried to search further support, should their depression be leading to suicidal thoughts or appear to be getting worse. Sometimes, you will need the support to help you support them and it is always a good idea to get some expert advice on these situations, rather than go about it alone. I hope this helps.
PashT007
Be supportive and let them know that you are there when they ned someone to talk to. Sometimes people that have depression problems just need a listening ear and someone that they can trust.
compassionatePalm07
support them, tell them you understand and let them know u care no matter what and will be there to listen to whatever is bothering them as soon as they are ready to share. love and support is the most important thing.
StayStrong152
You talk to them, keep up with them, make sure that they know you care-even if you have to repeat it over and over. I know it can be stressful, just keep making sure they are ok.
Anonymous
You need to support them, ensure they know you love them and never refuse love from them. Family will always have your back, so make sure you have theirs.
Anonymous
Always being there for them. That can mean being a listening ear, doing one thing that makes that person happy daily or such. Good luck!
LoverOfHappiness
Many think that we have to have the right words to tell the person experiencing depression all the time, but that it truly not the case. They just a little combination of compassion and affection. And let them talk it out when they are ready. Knowing that someone is always there for them helps a whole lot.
You could be a ear to listen. Giving advise are sensitive when it comes to depression. They will see things very differently compared to us.So try to be compassionate and understanding on what they have to say before giving any advise.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2016 2:15pm
By being their, when they need me the most, that's how i will do when they need me. I will calm them, make them happy, even though they hate me.
Personalitikhum
March 22nd, 2016 8:21pm
It's a very personal thing to have a family member suffering from depression. I think the best way is to be there for them, let them know there is someone there to assist them one every thing literally. Other than that I would use my active listening skills learnt here to listen to them :D.
sereneStrawberry62
Sometimes, all you can do is provide love and support no matter what. But remember to take care of you too. We can't truly help anyone if we aren't emotionally strong ourselves. Also, remember that it's not your responsibility to cure anyone. A family member will just be happy you know you are there for them! If the depression is really serious, helping the person find a therapist and/or psychiatrist could be very helpful.
Rebecca2379
If you believe that a family member is depressed try reaching out to them. Just talking to them can help them admit they might have a problem. You can also suggest therapy
Anonymous
You gotta tell them that you are going to be there for them in happy and anxious times. Try as much as you can to make them laugh or smile, it'll help :)
Willingtotalk124
If a close family member is experiencing depression the best thing you can do is let them know that you're there for them whenever they need to talk even if it's at midnight or 3 in the morning. They need to have someone they can trust when they can't trust them selves!