How can I stop my nightmares of my childhood trauma?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

KathyTheHealer
I feel so sorry for you. It must be really hard for you. But the treating method is not to stop the nightmares. You keep having nightmares because currently you don't have any happiness or future plans either. Once you have future plans , the nightmares will automatically dissappear.
IfICanHelpIPromiseIWill
December 22nd, 2015 8:01am
I have struggled with this. It has been one of the hardest things to work through. And I'm still not worked out all the trauma that I was faced with as a child. But I have learned to get it out of your head and move past it you have to face the trauma you went through. You have to sit down with the people that caused it in a calm environment and ask them Why? Hear there side of the story. Even if their excuses suck you tried to figure out why the trauma was caused. And forgive the people who put you through it. Forgiving the people which in my case was my parents is something that I have not wholeheartedly done. But I started working on the forgiving part because it is the important. If you don't forgive the people that made you have trauma you can't move on from it. Forgiving is for you. It is for helping you gain the happiness that is deserved.
Anonymous
Years after the danger has passed, traumatic memories can spontaneously return into consciousness, both as flashbacks during waking states and as traumatic nightmares during sleep. Minor, seemingly insignificant reminders can also trigger these memories, which often return with all the vividness and emotional impact of the original event. In addition, nightmares of the traumatic event can represent incomplete healing of the past trauma. To decrease the likelihood of reminders and foster healing, you can work on establishing safety in your environment and relationships and make conscious efforts to distinguish the past from the present. You would benefit from meeting with a mental health professional who can help you establish safety in your life and help you more thoroughly process the past trauma to decrease the likelihood of re-experiencing it during sleep.
If you are having issues of trauma, the best thing to do is to seek the advice of a trained professional to help you. Such as a psychologist, therapist or counselor to help you sort your feelings.
Chevy81
Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do except waiting for time to heal my trauma. It won't be erased totally, but it'll decreased.
Anonymous
Seek advice of a trained professional to help you. Such as a psychologist, therapists to help you sort out your feelings
samlovenothate
confront it head on by talking with a professional who can help you process the trauma. talking it out can really help.
Anonymous
by facing them and being all brave and strong against them.. because once you face your worst fear and overcome it you get the strength you cant imagine.. remember what doesn''r kill you makes you stronger..
Falguni4782
In my opinion you should try changing your schedule for the whole day. Do things that make you tired so when you go to bed, you fall asleep right away. I would even suggest you to do some breathing exercises before sleeping.