How do I know if my friend has postpartum depression?

Tracee Moore, PhD

I have worked with people on a variety issues across a spectrum of issues including grief/loss, adjustment issues, anxiety, depression, medical issues and life transitions.

Anonymous
If they do not seem happy and there usually self. If they don't have motive to get up and go out to try new things
Anonymous
Things such as not caring for herself or the baby, staying inside, losing contact with others and forgetfulness are all signs of postpartum depression, suggest to your friend that she goes to her doctor/therapist.
Leanncummins01
You can never know unless you get her to go to the doctor. Postpartum depression is a very serious matter. You should sit down with her and see if she feels depressed and if she's like to go see a doctor. Make sure you talk to her about the normality of this. It's hard to talk about something and feel like a freak.
softNutella25
December 22nd, 2016 1:32am
Unless you are a qualified professional, you won't really "know", but there maybe subtle signs that could very well indicate a reason to talk to your friend. What about your friend makes you consider postpartum depression? If you're friend has begun to experience behavioral, emotional, or any other bothersome characteristics after birth, consider being an encouragement to her and talking to her about what may be going on. If she does indeed feel that she may be suffering from postpartum depression, encourage her to seek professional help.
Anonymous
Here's the rub about that; You may see symptoms and signs that someone might be suffering from PostPartum Depression, but you're not in their head. The best thing you can do is offer support and postive interactions with said friend, even as far as offering cheerful or well-thought ideas to help them through it. Be respectful if they aren't comfortable talking about it, but let them know that you've got their back regardless.
toosmarttotalktogod
The first step is always to ask. If you are truly worried about your friend you need to let them know. Recommend them here or to a site to give a brief "diagnoses" of how they're feeling. If it seems they do have postpartum depression, you can recommend them to someone professional, or simply let them know you'll be there for them while they're struggling.
VanessaGraceStory
People may experience: Mood: anger, anxiety, guilt, hopelessness, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, mood swings, or panic attack Whole body: fatigue, loss of appetite, or restlessness Psychological: depression, fear, or repeatedly going over thoughts Behavioral: crying or irritability Cognitive: lack of concentration or unwanted thoughts Weight: weight gain or weight loss Also common: insomnia
calmParadise87
When a new mother has a baby and they don't seem excited about the new baby or if they are trying to stay at home constantly and do not want to interact with others is a pretty good sign they may have postpartum depression. Also, if you see they are crying more and have no interest in their regular household duties.
giggleShoulder61
You could try to talk to your friend and support her through this time. You could ask her directly, or you could keep a careful eye out for her symptoms. If she is worrying you, you could suggest that she seeks help or offer your support to her directly.
WolvenEars90
It would be best to look up "postpartum depression" online or in birthing books. You can, also, call a OB/GYN for more information about this topic. Even just calling a Dr. or local physician can give you and your friend more information about what postpartum depression is, what it does, and how it can be managed and/or treated.
MeghanSmiley
This is a tough one. Postpartum depression affects a lot of mothers and, many times, they're not well educated about the psychological effects that can go along with having a baby. Postpartum depression is a sort of sadness that makes people unhappy with things that they used to love. These people often become withdrawn and downbeat or have other changes in their personality. However, the only one that can really determine if someone has postpartum depression is the person with it and a psychologist/psychiatrist. They could also just be really tired because the kid is keeping them up all night... It really just depends.
niamh333
If your friend is showing signs of depression following the birth of a child then this may be postpartum/postnatal depressions. Things to look out for include crying, neglecting looking after themselves or the baby, talking as if they don't love the child, getting angry easily, anxiety or loss of appetite to name a few. Please encourage them to seek help as this is very treatable and it does NOT make them a bad mother.
Anonymous
If you start to notice them not acting like the person you know. Not wanting to go anywhere may be a sign, and just feeling upset.
chubbybunny0314
Try asking her, look up the symptoms for postpartum depression and see if you see any occuring in her.
Vanessagomez18
you know you're friend has and is postpartum depressed when they have insomnia, loss of appetite, and moody
Galatians6v2
If she has symptoms of depression that persist beyond the first two weeks after giving birth, encourage your friend to contact her healthcare provider.
Thegirlwhowrites101
Well, in order to know for sure, talk to a doctor about your friend. Also, it might help more to get your friend to go to doctor themselves to get a for sure answer.
ExpressingEmotion84
Having had and still going thru postpartum depression myself I can tell rather quickly if a friend or Loved one is suffering from postpartum depression. You'll begin to notice them sad more often than usual, not able to enjoy the new baby, lack of motivation, restlessness, isolation, etc. The overwhelming feeling of sadness and mood swings are a huge red flag.
Anonymous
They may show signs of fear in relation to their past. Theye might find it hard to sleep which wold show in the way they do things as they would be tired.
Anonymous
The best way to know would be to have them speak to a professional. However you could research the symptoms and signs. However seeking professional advice is always best.
Anonymous
If it seems they have anger, anxiety, guilt, hopelessness in their mood, they might have it. Check their behavior! If you notice they are constantly crying or they cannot sleep, chances are they have postpartum depression. Other signs include depression, fear, fatigue, loss of appetite, lack of concentration, unwanted thoughts, weight gain, weight loss, or insomnia.
bouncyPup68
The best way to find out respectively is to just ask them. Have a heart-to-heart. They will appreciate that you care and are worried or thinking about them. I hope this helped! Feel free to private message me if you have anymore questions :)
Brittany8013
This is a wonderful question, Postpartum depression is a real and serious matter that many dont take into consideration. There are many symptoms of PPD, some of which include: Insomnia, extreme sadness, extreme fear/anxiety, etc. If you think your friend is struggling, speaking with a health care professional is important to get her the help she may need.
MissLisa
Following the birth of a child, it is normal for a mother to feel down otherwise known as the baby blues. Pregnancy and delivery can be very emotionally exhausting let alone the exhaustion experienced upon the arrive of a new born baby and getting them into a routine. However these feelings should pass a short time after having the baby. If the mother continues to feel like this then she should seek medical help to determine if she has postpartum depression. This time can be especially difficult and it is important for you to support your friend. Try and get them to be open and honest about how they are feeling. Encourage them to talk and if necessary seek help. Good communication is key.
Aditi24
Depression after childbirth comes with certain symptoms. Most common are anxiety, mood swings loss of appetite, crying outbursts, insomnia, thoughts of harming oneself etc. If you have observed any of these in your friend intensively then you may suggest her to seek help. Alternatively, you may speak to her and understand the challenges that she's going through emotionally and also try and analyse the duration of the same. If she mentions about her feelings lasting for over 2 weeks then it is the right time to approach a Mental Health Professional. Online therapy is also available for this and could be considered, if required.
endearingMermaid64
You have to listen to they’re problems and talk to them that will let them know that they’re not alone and there are people who care about them I’m always here if you need someone to talk to because I’m part of the 7 cups which believes everyone should listen to eachother which is really important to me because I have been through depression before and it’s aqful so I’m always here to listen if you have any issues so talk to me and we can schedule meetings every weekend if you would like that! I believe every life is worth it.
Kristiguo
Postpartum depression symptoms include; severe anxiety and panic attacks, excessive crying, loss of energy, insomnia, withdrawal from social activities, irrational fears like not being a good mother, hopelessness, feelings of worthlessness/ shame/ guilt, thoughts of self harm, thoughts of harming the child, diminished ability to think, being fatigue, irritability, and more. Symptoms usually develop within the first few weeks after giving birth, but can possibly begin earlier. If these symptoms interfere with the important aspects of your friend's life (e.g her child, relationships, family, work, mental health, physical health, personal development), then you can assume that something is not right.
ComfortablyNumb7676
I was diagnosed with postpartum depression after I had my daughter. I hadn't experienced it with my son. I realized that I needed to talk to my doctor when fun songs came on the radio and made me sob. Literally, like party songs and they had me crying like a baby. I was prescribed medication for a short time and then I was fine. But every case is different. Look for the little things, it could be something subtle or it could be something major. Watch for changes in her mood and personality. I'm sure your friend would appreciate someone noticing that something is wrong.
bluebutton24
To start, it requires a medical diagnosis to tell you whether or not your friend really does have it but there are some things you can take note of before taking her to a doctor. To start, following the pregnancy, you might notice she’s eating less than usual and might be easier to irritate and when she does get mad, it’s major. Another sign could be she isn’t into some of the things she was into. For example, she might’ve loved watching movies or going to the park but nowadays she always declines and says she’s not up for it or if you do go she seems lost in thought or distracted. One of the most obvious signs however, would be a lack of bonding with the new baby. Most new mothers refuse to leave the room their child is in and if instead she’s avoiding contact altogether or trying to get away from the child as fast as possible, it could be a sign of postpartum depression.