How do I survive family vacations or extended periods of time with my family?

Jennifer Dolphin, LPC

I am a client-centered therapist who works to meet clients where they're at in order to provide compassionate support and guidance.

felixthecat
I try to find a place that I can have alone time. Going for a walk by myself helps if I start to get stressed out around them.
KRN
Is this a bad thing? Having a quality time with your family is very limited. Have fun, offer recreational activities with them.
Ashlee26Jayde
Your family no doubt has a lot of different ways of showing that they love you and for your family they may like to spend quality time together. Just understand that because you don't enjoy that like they doesn't mean that they don't care and don't want to make memories together. Keep a positive attitude as much as you can and try to make the most of it.
Anonymous
Don't let any negative emotions get the best of you. Take the high road by ignoring any chafing fights, rude comments, or anything upsetting. If you feel like you can't handle it, try to see if there's anyone you can call and just vent about it to.
yurkiko2005
Deep deep breaths!! Beyond that, even when I am with my family, I take time for myself, whether it be going out and walking through the woods or taking a long bath, I still take time for me.
Its should't be about "surviving". It should be about having fun, and making memories that will last for a lifetime. Even though there can be experiences throughout a vacation that can cause some distress here or there, the best thing to do is to try to plan as far as you can in advance for them. Including transportation, financial issues, boarding, any pets involved, a house sitter if needed etc...taking the best measures you can ahead of time to ensure a worry or stress free vacation should help you to relax more while on vacation. And have a great time with your family, making those lifetime memories, and sipping that pina colada under a palm tree while sitting poolside~ Enjoy!
olimaar
Remember to love your family. Although you may not feel accepted, know that you are. Try to spend extra time with your family instead of spending the whole vacation alone. It won't be as unbearable as you make it.
Anonymous
Always seek the good out of it. These are bonding time of which can be reflected back upon fondly. Try to find mutual interests that bring joy even if they are small. Like swimming at the beach!
musicalcat20000
Make sure to find alone time, it's really important to make sure you stay happy. Try to find mutual interests, but if they're really bugging you put in headphones and try to leave the room and breathe until the situation is manageable.
Anonymous
The best way to survive extended family vacations is to remain level-headed. It is kind of like a bee or a wasp, if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. And if they do bother you, remind yourself that the vacation is only x amount of days over, and try to relax. What good is a vacation if it's stressful?
Priya123
find things to do as a family that have an interest in at least two or more family members, but remember that every second of the day you don't have spend all together. have some alone time as well.
gracefulTree58
Go in with a positive attitude, and understand that your family needs quality time with you. But also understand that it is more than okay to ask for a bit of personal space during that time. Feel free to go on a walk or get a breath of fresh air if you need a break.
avi45
just agree with them rather than fighting or saying no to everything, these makes things easier and time changes
Anonymous
November 22nd, 2016 3:35am
I take some time about 30 minutes to an hour in a day to just take some time and relax. So what I would do is listen to music, and maybe even take a bath at the same time, so I can clear my head and relax
alekplease
Whenever I'm out with my family, I make sure to leave time to myself. I read before bed, or if my family is at the hotel pool I'll ask to go back to the hotel room to use the bathroom, which buys me ~half an hour. Above all it's important to remember that the days spent with your family will not last forever. Someday you'll miss them...so even though it can get overwhelming to spend so much time with them, try to think of it as a blessing as well :)
radiantHoliday82
you should try to use that time to make some good memories, if its still a difficult time for you, i may suggest you use it to make knew friends or try to focus on something you like doing!