how do you deal with a parent disappearing from your life?

Terri McDermott, LCSW

If you are struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, I'll partner with you to improve your mood and your life in a nonjudgmental and supportive way.

DreamCandy
I wouldn't know. Honestly, I haven't had one of my parents for most of my life. He left when I was around five years old. I never knew what to think of him. So I guess I've had a long time to get used to it. Sometimes, time does heal wounds.
ListeningDaniela
Having a parent disappear from your life can be hard. Hopefully you have one parent and grandparents or anuts and uncles can also be a great suppert team and some one to lean on when needed.
Anonymous
First, acknowledge that and accept it. Then remember to not blame yourself because it is definitely not your fault that cause them to leave. Upon that, look for the many other things in life that would make your life more meaningful (i.e., friends, hobbies, goals, work, etc).
Anonymous
First I start to deal with what is it that made me love that parent. All of the positive things we did together, time we spent. What was about that parent that I enjoyed I try to use that to help me get past the fact that their gone.
Anonymous
I know what it feels like and its painful, knowing there someone that was in your life gone. And has a kid growing up I had my mum/dad around, then see my mum leave in my eyes is horrible no one should feel that pain.
Anonymous
Time will heal this problem! It'll be tough but you have to try and remember how proud they are of you and that they will always be in your heart. Be brave and don't shut out any emotional feelings because this will only make it all worse :)
compassionateDreamer34
forgive them don't hold a grudge just plan to never leave your kid that's all you can do since your not your parent
AllyStarDust
Try to put yourself in their shoes to understand why and think of how much of a negative impact they would have had on your life if they stayed.
The parent that left is an adult and he/she is responsible for whatever decisions that they have made... On your side all you can do is respect the decision that that person has made and know that whatever the decision may be all you can do is let them learn in their own time..
Teddy522
It can be very difficult when you lose a connection with someone you were close with. Talking about how it makes you feel with a trusted friend, family member or health professional can help.
Kniter
We have this image what a parent should be like. Mum soft and sweet, dad supportive and there when you need him. Yet, they are people. Like all people, they have flaws and sometimes they can't handle being a parent. Dealing with it is hard or sometimes even a relief. Everyone handles it differently but for my idea that we also get to choose who belongs to our family like a close friend can be as close as a sister or a brother. Finding those people can be most helpful and maybe trying to understand why they left.
comfortingTruth71
The absence of a parent is not an easy thing to deal with especially if you don't know why. Most of the times the child blames itself or feels angry and abandoned. Fred Rogers used to say: “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” Paraphrase it a little bit I would say: When you feel emotionally empty try to find someone in your environment to fill this gap. A good grandfather, an uncle, even a big brother or a sister who will be the helper for you. And have always in mind that the acts of others are not your fault.
Anonymous
The best way to deal with this type of pain, is to transform it into happiness and strength. Use most of the good lessons your parent taught you growing up, don’t depart from things that would lose you to forget who you are.
musicalEnergy94
if your parent disappearing in your life, it can be emotionally draining on your brain and body. i feel you would need professional help and a strong support system. it would be good to have close friends if possible or a significant other to help with the emotional pain. no one deservers to have a parent leave the home but believe in your memories that are good about the parent. you would probably feel anger because it is not fair to be left with only one parent.