How to stop hating your little brother?

Traci Seery, LMFT

Are you living your best life? My style is collaborate, supportive and compassionate. Together, we will develop goals that produce positive results to make your life better.

Anonymous
Did you ever ask yourself why do you feel this way ? What is it that he does that makes you hate him ?
Anonymous
Try and bond with him instead of being against him try to do an activity. As you might just be a bit jealous of him getting all the attention
YourePerfect
Can I ask why do you hate him? Think about it. Are those reasons great enough to hate a family member of yours?
carefreeLight
Think about everything he does that isn't annoying. I have a little sister, and when she gets under my skin I just think about how I know she looks up to me. I know she wouldn't want anything bad to happen to me. And above all, she's my family and that means that we can't really hate each other anyways. Really what I suggest is to just take a step back and reflect on why exactly you feel these feelings. Then see what you can do about it.
Cail2016
I myself have reflected a lot on this since I have a younger brother. What I have come to realize is that we are all on our own journey and while I may not approve of all of his choices I do love him. I may not love his actions or choices all of the time but by focusing on the things I do love about him I have gained a new perspective. Therefore, if you find yourself hating your own little brother try to focus on the good. For instance, maybe one time when you were little your brother did something really nice for you. Or perhaps your little brother is excelling in some aspect of life. Also, on a personal note if your relationship with you younger brother is in turmoil I have found that if you try a little sometimes they will reciprocate. I wish you the best of luck.
courageousMagic24
- Expert in Family Stress
Try to see life through your brothers eyes. Thin and reflect about your own life- when u were that age, what all things u did, and try to understand its just a phase that will pass in time
AerinL
Sibling are annoying, but they are also your partner in crime and closest friend. Just let time lass and remember that you too will always have each other.
gigantWillow93
By thinking ,what if right now he had an accident & I lost him forever.. How will I feel ?What will I miss about him? What is it that I liked about him ? What will I tell people about him ?
Anonymous
close ur eyes 4 ten minutes.Remember the nice time spent together & imagine both of you are smiling.
Anonymous
First, try considering, what makes you hate your brother? Is it something serious or is it significant? How do you feel about talking to your little brother about what makes you hate him? Talking can be a great start to slowly not hating your brother
maggiesadie0227
Try spending some time with him. Try to really sit down and figure why you hate him and after you get over that, try talking and hashing it out with him.
jovialMermaid84
Decipher the reasons you feel "hatred" toward your brother, to begin. If you can identify why you have these feelings, it will be easier to change your thoughts and beliefs around that. Communicating what you have discovered may be really helpful for both of you, as well. It may take time, but if you continue to work on the issues, the more progress you'll hopefully see.
Anonymous
Honestly!! Think about it. Surely there's one thing you like about him, tell him that? Focus on the best bits xxx
MrRachmaninov
Understand that he lives in the same environment as you, and it is not his fault for his behavior. He is young, so he'll change and also understand better your feelings.
Anonymous
you can stop hating your little by solving the issue on why you hate him in the first place and try to give him another chance
Anonymous
Take him out to do something fun, make him happy. Try to find things that you and him both like and do those things.
Anonymous
Sisters and brothers always hate each other, spend more time with him :) And you won't hate him as much.
your1safe6place
Little brothers can seem like an enormous pain when they are conducting some of the behaviors that they often do, whether it's ones that you simply find annoying or ones that damage your property/land you in trouble with your parents. In my experience, the best course of action is to find common ground with the sibling. Find games that you both like to play. Find things that you both like to do. Often, negative sibling behavior stems from either their boredom or their craving for attention. Find what you can both do constructively together, and then do that thing! You'd be surprised how many days 'Monopoly' solved my own little brother's wild behaviors. The key is to make sure he enjoys the activity too!
Anonymous
Siblings can sometimes be difficult. Try to be patient and perhaps talk to your parents about what the problems are.
Other
If he is very young (14 or less-ish), try waiting for him to go through his teen years. A lot of people change significantly during that time. Otherwise, try spending time with him. If you support him and show him love you'll become invested in him and he will become invested in you.
Anonymous
Get to know the little things he does. Spend more time with him. He might be a mess but he is your brother.
Kanegreveson1993
Find out if you have similar interests if so use it as a why to like each other more our spend time with him more
Anonymous
Try and see things from his point of view, and acknowledge if he has any validity to his complaints or sorrows or Misgivings. If the two of you can find common ground, it is much easier for you two to forgive each other and compromise where you need to.
DonPeace
You should think of your brother as a miniature version of yourself , he deserves care , and he needs to learn , you should always be encouraging and helping him out , rather than thinking him as an enemy
cateyegirl22
Your brother is a child still and you have to understand that he is growing up. Be a little easy on him.
adi1108
You can never hate your brother sometimes you just don't like his behavior or nature, Your little brother is not your enemy
heavenPeace77
Don't getting ego for your brother . He is your brother . Never hate your brother for any reason have a good reasonable fight and talk to him the next min .
Anonymous
Family is really precious, try to understand why you think you are hating him, spend time with him, talk together to improve your relationships
SeanW
Hatred is a distorted lens, you think you really see anything through it? Try appreciation. See what you see...
Anonymous
Little brothers can be annoying at times but when you get older you start to live them. So give it time and you will stop hating your little brother.