How to stop hating your little sister?

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

Anonymous
I have an older sister and I love her dearly. But both us went through a phase of hating eachother. But siblings are like precious little gems that help you sparkle. Beucase you'll fight and you'll laugh together. But having a sibling is the best thing ever. I specially know from experience that little sisters look up to their older siblings and my older sister is my role model. The best way to stop hating your little sister is to think that she's a little pure soul that looks up to you as a guardian even though she can snarky and weird everything that makes you mad.
Anonymous
Well it might depend on the reason why you "hate" your little sister. Is it because she always gets in your stuff, gets more attention than you or some other reason. Either way you can try to tell your parents about the issue your having and they can help to communicate to your little sister about boundaries or anything. Or just open up and try to include your sister more so she doesn't feel the need to be in your way if that is the case.
NeverSleepingIcarus
Play with her more often, you might find similar traits that the two of you share, you can never be too sure 😉
ImGladToHelp
Remember that you were once little like her, and remember that she is still learning and she will look up to you as an older sibling
fantasticSun
Remind your self she is younger. Its not a excuse it is her looking up too you. Sisters can get under your skin. But they also can be great while shopping or telling secrets. I wish i had a sister. Dont hate your sister. Love her even.if fights begin. Love is always waiting at the.end.
GoLobster
Realize she is gonna be your sister forever. You guys will need to bond no matter what, she is your little sister and your duty as a long sibling is to protect her and care for her, she is most likely looking up to you
Anonymous
She's going through a phase. I went through one too and eventually I mellowed out. My parents also just lectured me for 10 mins after I did stupid things. Either they will get to her, like my family got to me, or she's going to have a rude awakening.
vividexpectations
Put yourself in her shoes! You were in her perspective not too long ago after all. You must understand that she is experiencing similar experiences/expressions of growth.
Anonymous
I think the best way of stopping hating your little sister is trying to understand his or her behave
Mikatsu104
Sit down with her and find things that you guys have in common. Share you feelings with each other. Get to know each other.
Anonymous
Try to find some common ground with your sister. What is it that you hate about her? Could you both enjoy doing something together which would let you see her in a different light?
CouldBeYourSavior
What I did Is i just thought hey. Its a sister. I get what I got. You realize that she is actually cute. Atleast its not a brother who chases you around the house naked!
Shailaa21
A bond between sisters is something you do not want to miss out on. You should think about how you would potentially regret not forming a proper loving relationship with her in the future.
SmileBeautiful1234
Little sisters are a hand full, always watching you and copying, but I think that it is best to just let them. They do it because they think what u are doing is cool and want to be cool also. Just try and love them even if they never give you down time. if they do something to you don't yell at them be clam and talk to your parents or other adults they can help.
Anonymous
First, you have to figure out why you hate her before you can move on. Then figure out the necessary steps to take in order to change your feelings.
Anonymous
Start by doing activities that you both like or try to talk out your feelings to each other and hopefully slowly with time you'll get closer
Anonymous
Think about the attributes of her character that you don't like.You have to be SMART when thinking about how you want to improve your relationship.
Anonymous
Well, that's a tricky one. Maybe you could do some activities with her to make your relationship a little better?
Anonymous
I think we all have difficulties with our siblings, but you can't hate someone who loves you. I'm sure you don't hate her, she just irritates you, but in the end of the day, you couldn't live without her. Just be patient, because she's little.
HelpWisely
The only way to stop hate is to love. Start loving and accepting your sister then the hate will just disappear on its own.
Anonymous
By not judging her and accepting her the way she is. Also not having any expectations. Start loving her. She's your sister.
Lovernature24
By treating her the best you can. By loving her. By spending weekends with her. just care for her..
RogerDan555
You might develop ego with your little sister, but at the end of the day, she's your younger sibling. Maybe she might not be at terms with you, but still you should be emphathetic towards her.
piljic
Firstly, see that she is also only a human being. Secondly, try to see the good in her, that good that your parents see in her. Put yourself in her shoes, try to understand why she does what she does. Get to know her better, play with her, talk to her.
soulsings
To stop hating my little sister I had to realize that we are no longer competing for our parents attention. We are no longer competitors but the only person that remembers all the things we went through as kids. My sister is someone that can really understand what we went through. She is irreplaceable.
Anonymous
Communicating with her might help. Try to become her friend.Talk to her, Share your stories with her and listen to hers. Play games, watch TV and other normal stuff. She is your little sister after all and being an elder sibling is a blessing.
Myn
by understanding why you hate her in the first place. is it jealousy? what is it. know the reason and try to overcome it. be the bigger person.
allnaturalUnicorns70
Hating people is rarely helpful to you, especially family. She may have done bad stuff to you, and protecting yourself is in order, but try to remind yourself that hatred only hurts the hater.
Friendtoday
My little sister can be very confrontational and this leads to many conflicts between us. But at the end of the day, we are family and I know we have each others best interests at heart. Love will conquer all if it is a relationship you take the time to work on.
EmmaDilemma515
Personally I've had problems with my sister and a lot of them were misunderstandings. As soon as I sat down and talked to her and understood her more it helped me connect with her. I don't hate her and we don't act like best friends but we at least have a basic understanding to each other.