How to stop hating your little sister?

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

Ibearhugyou
You can stop hating her if you start loving her. Know who she is, what she's like, her interests and start paying attention on what she likes. Listen to her, maybe she's having a bad day and nobody is there to listen to her. Avoid arguing with her, if she stars to argue, ask her what is bothering her. Be the big sister she wants to come home and tell her all her secrets and about her day. I have a little sister, so I know of experience. They just want to be listened to. Be that person she's proud to say "she's my big sister". I know it's going to be hard getting along but you'll get there. Just be patient and don't give up. It takes time, it's not a one day thing.
Anonymous
Realize that she is going to be the one person who is going to know exactly what you go through with your family!
ItsAlyssa
Well first of all she is a you girl and you are older than her and you have to understand she looks up to you and you have to be a great leader for her and understand to just be nice
Anonymous
you never really actually get to hate your sister, its lack of listening , comprehension and being fair. trying to accomplish those 3 things will clear up alot of tension that goes along throughout the time
NumberEleven
Try to look through her actions and see her for the person that she is. People's actions are a reflection of their inner states, maybe try being a little more understanding and try to relate to how she would feel if you placed yourself in her shoes.
Anonymous
Sit down and try to talk with her. Often times you'll find that even though she may be aggravating, she looks up to you. You're her older sibling and she loves you.
skylerraber1234
Try putting yourself in your little sisters shoes, how would you feel if your big sister or brother hated you? Maybe also spend some alone time with each other and talk about things that could bring you closer together. You could tell her about a boy or girl you like and that could lead to a deeper conversation.
mariamdoss
Wait until one of you goes off to college and then you'll realize how much you miss her, and that maybe she's not so annoying after all.
bethestoryofyourlife
Well, I always try to have a normal conversation with her, like: hey, how are you? And stuff. And that really helps because actually i didn't know my little sis, and when you start asking questions, it can happen that you might starting to love her :)
Juliawill1isten
I would reccomend trying to get to her level. Think back to when you was her age. See how you can relate and find common interest, this might create a bond and give you and idea as to how to get along. If your little sister starts touching your makup, I would reccomend playing make over and take pictures. You can also either buy or give her makeup you don't want. This is great for the little sister that is looking up to you. This creates a bond and eventually the talking will take place and then this is where I would tell my sister..." Do you like makeup ? Is this why you touch my makeup? "Then make a deal ..."if you dont touch my makeup , I might be able to make you an appointment next week....same time and same place" add a little wink. This is playful yet stern. Its hard to avoid the little siblings but not impossible. Try to find ways around the problem by communicating (not yelling) and create a bond in the process. Family is important and creating a bond and memories are the foundation to this relationship.
XsetarehX
I think it is important to appreciate your siblings. Many people dont have the advantage of having sisters or brothers and grow up as an only child. Spend more time with her, do things with her that you love.
Wanna77
You were once young too so there were probably so many people you annoyed to death but they still love you and you should always keep that in mind. Nothing that she does is meant to hurt you and hating on her in only going to hurt you. Spread love
sdmvs
Why would you hate her? You can talk about it in messages with a listener or with our therapist, you are always welcome
Alexisheretohelpyou2
I assume you're going through some changes. And if not, either you have already, or you're about to. We've all went through that phase of hating our siblings, and it's normal. As you get older, things will even out; trust me. First off, think about what is the reason you hate your sister? Does she try to bug you ALL of the time? Make you mad? Prank you, or ask you to play with her one time too many? Whatever the reason is, we've been there! You're not alone. Keep in mind that your little sibling might think that you're awesome, and looks up to you. I know it sounds like something you've heard from family memebers, but it's true. Some siblings are just straight out mean and make you think "He or She WANTS TO RUIN MY LIFE!" There's always a reason a sibling makes you mad. They might feel like they're living in your shadow, or (depending on how big your family is), might feel left out. Possibly they are being bullied or some other strange reason. One thing you'll have to do is, talk it out. Try to yell as little as you possibly can, and try to find out what's wrong. Whatever you do, DO NOT get in physical fights with her. My mother, and her sister fought, and my mom would hit her younger sibling a lot, and that hurt her mentally, physically, and emotionally. They don't argue like that anymore, and they have became a lot closer than when they were teens. However, there's a little gap... A separation between them because of it. I didn't like my siblings either, but in the end, things will work out. Time is a good healer. When you're older, things will be different.
Anonymous
It doesn't matter how much she gets on your nerves, winds you up, does something wrong, she will always be the one person who understands where you came from, the life you've had and love replaces any moments of hate.
humminghawk
Wow! That's a tough one. Tough to answer without more details, that is. Why do you hate her? Does she hate you too? Is it really "hate" that you feel, or is it a potent combination of other emotions that have festered over time? In any case, it helps to schedule a time during which you can both meet in a safe space free from distraction to discuss your feelings. I recommend that you also have a mediator present, perhaps a parent or other elder family member, who can keep the space calm and control the fire if it starts to burn. On your own, you can practice Loving-Kindness Meditation. Peace :-)
GrowLovely
You have to remember that you love her in the Bad Times and the Bad Times will turn in to good ones.❤️
Anonymous
Realize the real reason why you hate her - you will be surprised that you probably don't really hate her, but hate how others treat you two differently or if she gets special treatment.
ForVanGogh
This depends on the reason for the "hate", but basically: Try to think that she's just a child. You was on her shoes once, You can try to remember how curious you used to be, and how it sometimes disturbed some people. You might also think that, often, she only makes certain things because she feels comfortable with you/she trusts you. Try to see things through her eyes. Say when things bother you, in a serious way, to her can also help.
magnanimousButton53
Love her a lot. Forgive her and she is younger to me so there is no use or ethical to hate her. Should try to forget fast.
sweetnutella
Maybe you must remember that she's your little sister. No matter how rascal she is, she is still your little sister who deserves some love ❤
Anonymous
if you can try to resolve the situation, take a step away and look at the reasons why this hatred is there.
Sonya0211
Try to spend more time with her. Find things you guys have in common and do those activity's or talk about them. Also, try to avoid arguing.
Sianwil
You need to have a sensible talk with your parents first, and then your sister. Then take it from there.
PlumQueen2988
That's a hard question! But can you ever really hate your sister? It's really just annoyance, and issues of this sort get resolved over time.
LastHope1218
First off, you don't hate your little sister. She is your little sister and while you might get upset at her, you will never hate her. If you are upset at her, then you might wanna start by talking to her about the problem and then peacefully discussing a solution. If she still doesn't want to work things out peacefully, then you might consider going to a medium such as a parent to work things out peacefully.
Anonymous
Finding something you both love. I couldn't stand her until we started thinking of activities to do together. It's also one of those things that comes with age.
BloomingSakura
You can start talking about things and open up to her. Tell her how you are feeling about her so both of you can understand each other more
bananajamma28
For the longest time, it seemed like my sister and I were completely different people. She was loud. I was quiet. We had different interests and different view points. My younger sister even refused to attend the same high school as I did, solely because I had gone there. She was a 4.0 AP student, valedictorian of her class, on full scholarship to university. Some days I resented her, because it seemed like my parents were always much more proud of her than they ever were of me. It wasn't until a few years ago that I was able to stop despising her. I realized I had an obligation as the older sibling to be there for her, to guide her, and offer advice. It takes some time, but really making an effort to see the similarities between you can make all the difference. We both ended up attending school in Canada, we both went through long distance relationships with our boyfriends, we both struggled in learning to embrace sexuality and to be comfortable with our bodies. Even if it is a broad similarity, something that's not very specific, it can help to find empathy for the other person, and to be someone they can trust and rely on.
LeoListens2U
Find ways to relate to her, endeavour to do something together that you might actually both like. Such as going to a park, watching a particular movie, etc.