I hate my family and want to move out right when I turn 18... is that okay?

Jackie Dross, M.S. Community Counseling

I have a passion for working with people from a non-judgmental, strengths based approach to meet their goals for personal growth.

Truckerwife08
In my opinion its your choice. Can you afford to move out do you pay your own bills? Some places you have to have credit to get your own place and a couple thousand dollars in your name to get approved for your own place. And some places want family to cosign for your first place at that young of an age
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 5:29pm
Moving away from home is a big change, it's important to make sure you're making such a big change for the right reasons.
TheGreyFixer
January 22nd, 2016 9:46pm
I don't know what they've done, but nonetheless, that's completely fine. You're not indebted to someone just because they're your family. Respect, trust and love are earned, and if they haven't shown you that then you are free to do as you wish. You are your own person. Stay safe and good luck.
mountainPass10
That's completely okay! Moving out after becoming a legal adult isn't as uncommon as one would think and I know many people who have and live much better lives. It all depends on your relationship with your family, but if you feel like you'd be happier that way by all means do so!
grumpymama
It's never ok to feel as if you are trapped and hate your family. Moving out when you turn 18 is perfectly fine. It is important to have a plan when you decide to move out.
HappyFrogger998
Just because you're related to someone, doesn't mean you have to like them. You can like someone and still dislike being around them too. Just make sure you're prepared to move out and can support yourself when you turn 18
RoseS13
I personally think that maybe you should confront your problems because in life it's good to have family.
Anonymous
You hate your family and want to move out? You're family's only going to be there for you when no one else is.
Anonymous
I understand hating your family- whatever reason it is, you need to do what makes you happy. If you can reasonably move out and have the financial means to take care of yourself and make a living, then that's okay. Make sure you're doing everything you need to to take care of yourself and stay safe and healthy.
Anonymous
i dont think there is anything wrong with moving out if you are able too, dont put yourself in a bad situation to get out of another one , it can be really stressful
WhatDoesItAllMean
I think that is perfectly okay. In fact some say the key to mental health is to distance ourselves from our parents lol (Frasier quote) - and from personal experience, I totally would too, if I had the money... So if you can, I wish you all the best.
VickyP
It is okay. But think.. Why do you hate your family ? Can you do something to change your relationship? And if you want to move so bad. Will you be happier if you moveD?
AzulFresa77
Yes, I feel the same way often, it is 100% okay to feel that way if they treat you wrong and make you feel unwanted.
AnonymousA
Realizing the pressures and responsibilities moving out so early welcomes is very important. I was in this same position, but decided to mutter through due to wanting to get a good education and save money before I jumped into anything too soon. Maybe you could try solving the issues before deciding to flee.
Anonymous
Hating family is no solution of the problem, Talk to them how you feel and see their perspective. Family is not enemy. Be in a healthy and constructive conversation.
Anonymous
Being your own adult means that you may feel it necessary to completely isolate yourself from your family in order to establish your own identity and live your own life. If you can move away while still maintaining a healthy, stable lifestyle then you should do what you feel is necessary.
Anonymous
It is okay. You after all are considered an adult by then so you should be allowed to move out. Just be careful on where you move too.
Anonymous
If you think that it will help you and that you are ready to move out when you turn 18. Then I think it's okay. Although keep in mind that it's not easy to live alone and you need a job as well. I don't know your family situation but maybe you should try to talk to your family and if that does not work then you may do what you think is the best for you.
NikiTaylor
Sure. Your feelings are your own and if you decide that this is the best course of action for you, then I'd trust you. Make sure you have a plan for living on your own, though. The world can be a scary place.
Uniqueg
Your 18 so legally your an adult, and even if you move out doesn't mean you have to end the relationship with your family time apart from them might make you realize what they really mean to you
Cerebralreflections1
Yes, but you'll have to go to college or find a very stable job in order to support yourself. Do you have other family to go to?
Sirefrost318
Of course, it is perfectly fine for you to leave hose as soon as it is legal. It is a good idea to make sure you are in a good financial position though, and possibly to try not to lose all contact with your family after you leave.
Anonymous
I think that's okay and the fact is so many 18 year olds move out from their home for different reasons. The important thing is to keep your connection and communication with your family.
ZombieKid
I'm planning on moving halfway across the world to get away from my family. Without a doubt, you should not feel any remorse for leaving your family and becoming independent. I wish you the best of luck!
Once you are an adult and you are legal to make your own choices, then you are able to do whatever it is that you feel you want or need to do to move forward with your life. However, it might also help to know why you feel the way you do about your family. And, also if you think talking, therapy or counseling could help you all.
Anonymous
It is ok if you want your children to do the same when they turn 18..Consider yourself as parent and then decide what is good.. Because one day you will be parent for sure and if do not be good example in front of your children how can you expect them to behave
itsgoingtobeokay96
you are legally an adult at 18. Once you turn 18 you start to make your own decisions. So yes, of course it's okay
divinewillpower86
Well this all seems like you have something that hurts you a lot inside! But how come this will make you feel Happy/content by going in outer world? this can be your choice. However your Life issues are your Smiley and that you have lost Inside! So dwell inside and your smile will let you know why it is hidden and where?
Anonymous
That's perfectly okay. BUT, you have obligations as their child. This means that, you need to help them at the times of critical crises. Do not forget this. Bad karma can bite you.
greatfulDreamer43
If your friend is not worthy then its ok you have to make sure who is your real friend and who is not.. You need to take care of yourself and never lose your hope just believe in yourself and one day you will succeed