I hate my parents...is it justified?

Shawn Wilson, LCSW

I provide supportive counseling and psychotherapy. I utilize cognitive-behavioral and solution focused strategies to address client concerns. Personal coaching is available.

kgweicat103335
Yes, I think you have all the rights to hate your parents. There are a lot of people out there trying to tell you your parents love you, and you should not break their heart. However, not everyone is so fortunate to live in such an idealized world. It is okay to hate your parents or stop talking to your parents if they are toxic or if your life is negatively influenced by them. I would still recommend thinking about the reasons you hate your parents. Did they do something that extremely upset you? What are the reasons behind those actions? If possible, try to have a conversation with them and talk about how you feel. But if you don't feel the need or they refuse to listen to you, yes, it is definitely okay to hate your parents.