I want to run away to my friends house. Not sure what to do though. Should I run away?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Olweg
Hi, well, since you want to run away, I guess there things you're running from. Running away can have serious consequences, for you, your family, your friend (and your friends parents, if your friend is a minor). But staying can also have serious consequences for you I guess, so everything is a question of priorities and needs. Just so you know, depending on the country you live in and its laws, but also your age, things can be different. In France for instance, if you host a minor (under 18) in your place, you have 24 hours to declare it (by going to a shelter for runaway kids). Or else you can go to jail. So, well, that's something to keep in mind ! After that, educators will try to understand why you ran away, and see if it's best to keep you away from your family, or if they can talk to you and your parents and see if there can be some sort of resolution of conflict you know. If they think that's too dangerous for you to go back, you get to see a judge that will decide to put you in foster care / in a foster family etc. That's how it can work in France. I don't know how it is in your country, but maybe you could find out, to know exactly how can things evolve for you if you run away. To make yourself safe you know ? So, if your friend(s) live(s) at their parents, you would want to make sure their parents would protect you and not send you back home. If your friend(s) live(s) on their own and if they're adult(s), then you'd want to know (or ask them about it) if they have some legal obligation to respect, in order to be able to help you without putting themselves in danger. Best thing I guess is to have a plan, with your friend(s), so that they will be prepared and know what to do. If you feel you're in danger, that you'll kill yourself if you stay at home, then yeah, running away can save your life. It's just not something one does lightly, so it should be your last option. If you wanna talk about it, feel free to contact me, I'd be glad to help you find out what's the best option for you in your situation. (I have some personal knowledge of such situations, since I hosted a runaway teenager once)