I want to see a therapist. How do I tell my parents?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Kyra0608
The best way to tell them is to come right out and say it. tell them you feel a therapist is neccesary, im sure they will understand.
marvelousBlossom86
Explain to them that you want to see a therapist in a calm manner. Be assertive and insist that you think this is the best course of action for you.
CheerfulSomething
I've found that the best way is to be honest with your parents and tell them. All kinds of people goes to see therapists at many different points in their lives and hopefully your parents will be understanding. A good way to tell your parents is to sit down together and in a calm way you can tell them how you have been feeling lately and why you think it would be a good idea to see a therapist. Best of luck!
brightForest97
I'm glad you want to get help, and while telling your parents can be tricky, always try to remember that you can tell them as much or as little as you wish. I recommend telling your parents at a time when everyone is calm, maybe over dinner or another time when you're all sitting down and calm. You could tell them as little as "I've been going through some difficult stuff, and I think it would help me if I could talk to a professional." If you feel comfortable enough, you can reveal a little bit more of what you're going through, but try not to feel pressured. Your feelings are your feelings.
Raeitsokay
When yo need to see a therapist, Its important you tell the parent you trust more first. Before speaking to them plan out how you may tell them for example you may want to write down what were your problems and go over how you could say this to them. However I must note that this can possibly take a very long time, which is more than okay being honest and amitting you need help can take a while so take your time and conquer it slowly that way it will be easier to talk about. When your ready talk to your parent/s in a room that you feel comfortable in and safe. Make sure that you have their attention and that this was time put aside for this chat. You can start of slowly if you want, or if you feel like it would be better you can go straight to the point. Some parents may ask questions some might be passive but you will need to be honest in this conversation. You need to be because they will be more inclined to see that there is a genuine issue you have that needs to be sorted out.
Anonymous
November 2nd, 2017 2:45am
Approaching parents about our needs to see a professional is nothing to be hesitant about. Your parents care for your health and they would understand. The simplest way would be to sit down with them and have a family discussion. They will ask questions like Why do you think you need this? What made you arrive to this conclusion? You need to make sure that you answer them honestly and frankly. I had to tell my mum that I knew something was wrong with me but I didn't know what. I told her that a professional would help me figure out if it was something to be concerned about or was it more internal and they would help me work through my demons.
peacelovekasey
March 2nd, 2018 1:28am
I think you should just tell them. They are your parents, after all. If you don't feel comfortable, you can see a counsellor or psych at your school, if they offer that service. You can ask them not to talk to your parents about this, as they are obliged to keep their confidentiality agreement. But, if you are thinking about seriously harming yourself or someone else, they have to break it, and you should tell your parents.
lbsharron777
Seeing a therapist is not a scary thing. Therapists specialize in helping clients sort through emotional issues and find real solutions to every day problems. Beware some therapists though are more interested in salary than actually helping someone. Look up the therapist's name and practice online - do your research - and then make a decision based on the person's medical ratings.
listeninglion12
you should be open and honest with what you want to do. maybe have a sit down conversation with them and tell them why you want to go and they can offer help too!
Anonymous
I would suggest you to go talk to your parents the first chance you get. Approach the subject directly and see how their reaction is. Sometimes we don't realise that they are on the same wave length as ours and maybe sometimes they are no way near. If your case is the latter one, then make them understand that talking to a therapist in most situation is very helpful. Sometimes all you need is a third persons perspective. I wish you the best with your parents. Just go ahead and approach the subject instead of overthinking it.
Samar27
It must have been such a struggling thought for you. You can start by opening up to them, and sharing your feelings and thoughts with them. You can also tell them how things are bad and how they are becoming worse. You can tell them what you are going through, how you are feeling, and what is the problem. Telling them that you need a therapist as nothing is helping you out could be a way. I know it might be hard and makes you feel really anxious, but it's probably a good way to avoid what could happen if you didn't ask for help, and just let it the way it is.
Izzyhappybubbles
January 2nd, 2020 6:06am
Everyone needs someone to talk to. Whether it be a friend, parent, family member, teacher, or therapist. So everyone should understand someone's need to talk to someone. The trouble comes when that person does not understand why you need to specifically talk to a therapist. If your parents don't automatically say yes, your job is to help them understand. This is important, please do not give up because you were told no. Explain how you are feeling. Explain that a therapist is trained for the job of listening. Explain what you hope to get and learn from therapy. Explain that you need more than what peers and family can give you.
Cxande
Talk to them with calm And told them the you want to see a specialist. Prepare answers to possible questions.
kashu510
I suggest to start by sitting your parents down and telling them how you have been feeling lately. You tell them that you feel that you would benefit from therapy and explain how the therapy technique you are considering to approach will benefit your concerns.
bunniesgomoo
Try to approach your parents together or one at a time, explaining that you believe it will really help you and it's the best thing for your health. Your parents at first may be upset or unreasonable, but they will eventually understand that it's important for you to see a therapist
EthanisBae
September 22nd, 2015 12:19am
I think that if you gentle approach your parents when you know they are in a good mood is the best time to tell them.
Sit them down and explain to them what you are going through and that you need extra help to go through it. Tell them why you would need a therapist and how important it is to you to see 1.
Anonymous
At first make your friends believe that mental health is equal important to physical. And take them to a therapist then therapist will tell them
Mome42
Talk freely. It's not something to be ashamed of. It needs courage to admit it to yourself and courage to admit it to other people. They will understand.
Anonymous
Be open & honest to your parents, tell them you might have a problem & will like to see a therapist.
magnanimousButton53
First explain them the problem you are facing so that they might understand your need to see a therapist
Anonymous
Research it so when you talk to them you appear to be educated on the decision you've made.
AliaHani
Talk to them on how you really feel in an honest way. Its always the best way. Consider or not, theyre your parents. They sure want to help.
Anonymous
Let them know you need an neutral and unbiased person to talk to. That you also do not mean to hurt them with this either.
NyxCain
It depends on the relationship you have with your parents. If it's not so great, it's sometimes helpful to have another adult (youth leader, school counselor, etc) help you have that conversation. Most parents will accept it if you tell them that you need someone to talk to who isn't involved in your life to be unbiased and give advice.
JUST2ME
Just tell your parents that you have some thinks in mind you want to talk about and you need someone not released or someone who knows you. They will pretty much not say now.
juniperosands
Make sure to use I statements and tell them how you feel rather than what is wrong in your life. If they are not accepting, reach out to a guidance counselor or trusted adult to get you the help you need. Also good for you, for recognizing you need help and wanting to do something about it. It is the biggest and most overlooked step in the recovery process!
Anonymous
You should be open with them and just explain that you feel its best you see someone professional .
blissfulSpace41
It is best to approach your parents however you see fit, whether it be casual or serious. Most parents will be happy you want to make a positive difference for yourself and will be understanding. Sometimes it might be a matter of calming yourself down or having difficulty talking to your parents. In these situations you should calm yourself down first so you can effectively and easily get your message across to your parents.
Anonymous
It is fantastic that you have chosen to seek professional help. Perhaps you could tell your parents that you have been facing some problems and are ready to get some help.