I want to see a therapist. How do I tell my parents?

Jennifer Dolphin, LPC

I am a client-centered therapist who works to meet clients where they're at in order to provide compassionate support and guidance.

Anonymous
I understand it is not easy to talk about this with your parents. But you have to one day or other. You can try putting it this way that you are a little disturbed/depressed and you need to talk to a professional and get a positive outlook towards things.
Stoot
Wanting to seek professional help is a very healthy thing to do and should be viewed as a positive step rather than something negative. Hopefully, your parents will be supportive and view it as such.
HavenonEarth
You should tell them that you are concerned about your emotional / mental wellbeing and that in order to keep thriving or start to thrive more in life, you think seeing one will really help you tremendously and your relationships in life, including the ones you have with your own parents. Be calm, polite and honest and find a compromise if you can, with them.
Anonymous
It may be a good idea to write down what you want to say. Sit with them and calmly explain that you'd like to see a therapist and let them know why you'd like to go. For example, something that has haooened, feeling down, anxiety, etc. Wanting to see a therapist is not a bad thing.
softSugar96
If you are too nervous to tell them, I would suggest bringing in a third party or writing them a letter. I have a hard time talking to my mom about the deep stuff so I write her letters and we have a special notebook for it.
Anonymous
Talking to your parents about most things can be nerve-racking. The best way to go about it is being straight forward. Ask your parents to sit down with you so you can tell them how you feel and tell them that you would like help for your well being. I hope this helps!
Anonymous
The best thing to do is just be completely honest sit down woth your parents/ guardian and just come clean about what has been going on and how you are feeling they might have ooptions you perhaps havent been open to yet but if therapy is what you want then just tell them and be honest.
Anonymous
You can tell you're parents you want to see a therapist because of your struggles and you want help to overcome it more than your family can support and it can help you overcome and instead facing them rather than shutting your emotions away.
Anonymous
If you think therapy will help how you feel explain to your parents that it's about bettering yourself and that you want to do it for you and they should be understanding of this. If you are unsure how to ask them to seek therapy talk to a doctor first and they can talk to your parents with you.
DanaMH
It is very hard, but be honest with them and let them know what is going on in your life and I am sure they will understand. If you ever need to talk please let me know.
gabrybella1903
Set a time with your parent to have the conversation. Find a time that allows for few distractions and a lot of privacy. Let your parent know you wish to talk with an adult about some things you have going on, and that you want this person to be completely objective to your situation (in other words, the adult/counselor doesn’t love you like your parent(s) do, so they will be able to guide you with basic, non-influenced decision-making in a way that family members generally cannot).
Soulfree
Just in normal way, ask them to company you while having dinner/ for a jog.. and then start with the problems you're facing. After that, tell them that you're about to consult a therapist followed by the reason why you need to consult therapist.
fancyPower59
They love you, you should just tell them but be ready to tell them why. Some parents might think you want attention but if you tell them why they will understand.
Happylife4u
I will pick a time that is good for everyone to talk. I would explain to my parents that I have not been feeling so well and I would try my best to explain all the emotions and feelings that I'm having at the time and why I feel seeing a therapist would be a good option for me.
eliaphant
Tell your parents whats going on (it doesn't have to be full of details) and then simply ask them if you can see a therapist!
KaraFootball
One of the best ways to do this is to sit your parents down and tell them you are struggling. Most parents just want their kids to be healthy and happy, and if you tell them the truth, they’ll usually understand.
carefreeHeart57
February 23rd, 2018 8:34pm
Honesty is the best policy. Think about what you want to say in advance. Be clear, concise and factual. By approaching them in an adult manner without drama or being overly emotional, they will take you seriously and listen to your concerns. Remember your parent care about you deeply. They will want to help you if they can.
Pumpkin74
Be honest with them! You could write a letter explaining what you need and why you want to see a therapist. The more open you are to communication with them, the more they will support this idea. While you may not wish to reveal all of your personal life to your parents, there are some things you can share with them which will open up the doors of communication as a family. Remember, parents believe they can fix everything and would like to be involved as much as they can.
artsickprince
Bring up things that your mental health has been holding you back from. Your grades, your relationships, etc. Tell them that you want to get better and that you think therapy will be beneficial for you. Give them time, they probably don't want to believe that you have been struggling without their knowledge.
elissforyou
Try telling them how are you feeling, caus there's nothing to be embarrassed about. They will understand your choice if they care about you!
Anonymous
I think you should just tell them the truth. Tell them everything. Not if they don't understand you, you should still go see a therapist. Let your parents guide you but if they do not support you on your journey of healing, then don't let their words stop you.
snakeskins
That can be really scary. If you've got a good relationship and can trust them, be honest and straightforward with them. If they care about you they'll appreciate your honest and be happy you opened up to them.
WantToHelpp
Talk to the one you’re more comfortable with. Tell them what you’re feeling. Tell them that it’s too hard to handle on your own and you need to see a professional.
SupportingYouAlways
From personal experience, I found it really helpful to explain to my parents how I was feeling and show them that I was really struggling. This helped them to understand that I did in fact need help and so we came all came to the group decision that therapy was the best option.
lovelyFlower35
First I would research the information you'll need a head of time, then I would prepare a speech to tell them so they understand what you're going through and why you need therapy this bad. Its not a phase its my life.
courageousPower79
I think you should tell them how you genuinely feel.Believe me your parents would understand.Tell them that you need to seek some help.If you are not comfortable in telling verbally write it down and give the letter to them or text them.
Caringheart23
It can be difficult to tell them especially if you don't talk about feelings often. But you can tell them you've been feeling down lately and you don't think you can deal with it alone anymore. Just the fact you want to see a therapist means you wanna make change. I'm sure your parents want the best for you and they will understand. Maybe you'll be surprised by how supporting they reacting will be :)
QueerChristianTeen2004
Tell them that thou haven't been feeling very good emotionally. Explain that a therapist a is doctor for your mind.
Anonymous
Mom, Dad, I have been struggling a little bit and I feel the best option is to see a therapist so I can get the best care.
Anonymous
I had a hard time finding the courage to tell my parents too, but the best thing to keep in mind is the fact they are your parents- they are the ones who gave you your life, and they do care about you.... If you feel as if you need to see a therapist than you just have to take them aside, maybe at night, once there are no distractions and just let them know there are things you need to talk about in a non-judgemental, confidential area :) best of luck