I want to see a therapist. How do I tell my parents?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

Anonymous
Getting your parents to agree to you seeing a therapist may seem tricky, but if you use your words and express you want professionals help they will listen.
Anonymous
Simply talk to them. Your parents care about you more than you know and they definitely want the best for you
JustCallMeGus
It sounds like you might have some worry or fear (maybe anxiety) about how your parents will react to you seeing a therapist. It also kinda sounds like you are seeking their support in making this decision. I could be wrong and it really may just be a courtesy informing them. The cool part is, whatever you decide to do, you get to tell them only as much as you are comfortable with. What I mean is, when I was in a similar situation, I told my parents the nature of my troubles and what I was doing about it. I was very fortunate that they really were super supportive and understanding. I could have simply told them that I'm struggling and that I've decided to see a therapist to see if that will help. And then ask them if they'd like to know more after I try it out. There are a lot of options. Maybe you'd like to talk with one our listeners first, try out a few things to see how it sounds to you, and then take that back and start talking to your parents. We're here with you, hey!
Monique89
You sit them down and say Ive been feeling (sad, depressed, anxious) and I think it would help me if I got some professional help.
liam1537
Maybe consider writing a note or sitting them down at the dinner table, sometimes a parent will think it's because they did something wrong, and get defensive. But it's the opposite, you trust them enough to tell them that you want therapy, so just be true and you will be okay
TylersLife
You need to sit down with them and just tell them. Have a conversation about what’s going on in your life that makes you feel the need to see one. They should understand and help you find one who you work well with.
specialear
Tell your parents that you need to talk to them about something important to you. Once you have them sat down and ready to talk, let them know that what you're about to say should not worry them. Then tell them you have been feeling like you need to speak to someone that has an outside perspective. If it is important to you to see a therapist I'm sure your parents will understand this and allow you to see a professional.
Unfazedcouchpotato
You shouldn’t be scared to tell your parents. They love you a would support you in anyway. They’ll understand.
Anonymous
Explain to them your thoughts and also hear them out too to get the perspective of both sides. And good luck! :)
Anonymous
May 23rd, 2018 12:38am
Sit down with them, talk them through exactly how you are and how you have been feeling and explain to them that you think it’s in your best interest to see a therapist
Anonymous
Well, you'll have to explain them why do you need one, first. What all you're going through and now, it's become too much for you to handle, So, consulting a therapist would be a wise approach
medlgbtoutandproud
Start by telling your parents how you are feeling and you think that seeing a therapist will help you feel better and understands what you are going through. Explain to them that they are not being pushed away, but sometimes you feel comfortable talking to a stranger and a qualified stranger might be able to keep an open mind and help you with your situation as well as improve yourself to be a better person. Besides that, explain to them that seeing a therapist might not only help yourself but also helps in strengthening the relationship between you and your parents.
enlightenedHeart75
Just sit your parents down when they are free, and let them know that you would like to see a therapist they will completely understand.
apositivepsych
First of all am glad that you have made a choice of seeing a therapist :) I know the dilemma of telling parents. You may start describing the problem you are facing and letting them know that a professional assistance will be of lot of help to resolve the problem. Try to speak to them in a calm manner. They may or may not take time to understand the issue. If they do, nothing like that! Incase, they are unable to understand then give them some time. Few days and they will understand. Am sure this helps. Take care. :)
Anonymous
if you want to talk to a therapist you could tell a staff member at your school and they could tell your parents if that would be easyier or you could tell your parents whats wrong and that you belive you need to see someone to talk to
BeforeSunrise94
I think you need to tell your parents of your problems if you can. Then tell them that you want to see a therapist because of those problems. I'm sure your parents will be supportive of you trying to help yourself. On the other hand, I don't think you need to tell anyone that you want to or are seeing a therapist.
Sken24
It is best to be open and honest with your parents. Ask them to sit down with you to have an honest talk about how your feeling and explain that you feel it would help you to see a therapist. Parents are usually more than happy to help their children through confronting or difficult times.
Anonymous
Parents usually want what is best for us. For this reason, if you want to see a therapist, tell them and try to explain your reasoning. If you do that, chances are they'll understand your points and help you get one.
AlyssaHxo
Tell your parents you want to see a therapist! Your their child they will do anything to help you! Don't be afraid to go to your parents for help!
Anonymous
You should probably sit them down and have a calm discussion with them. You can tell them, for example, that you feel like you are not doing so well at the moment (if you want, you can explain what you're feeling and how it's affecting your everyday life, maybe explaining some behaviours that they have been noticing as well). Then tell them you think seeing a professional is appropriate for you to receive the adequate support that you need and deserve. I'm sure you'll do great and good luck
YourPersonalPal
I would just tell them, I know it’s much easier said than done but that’s really the best way to do it.
LanLaLand
You tell them the truth about what you feel in regards to emotional/mental health. If you think there are problems that they can't help you with, since they are your parents they will most likely try their best to help you
Anonymous
Just tell them, the more you think the more you make it complicated. Better keep it short and simple, say it if you need them else just do it by yourself. You don't need to ask permission for taking care of yourself from anyone. if its for the good the go for it. Your self care is more important.
Anonymous
You can be subtle and test out the waters before jumping straight into the question then you can ask away. And if your parents are fine with it then, yay! If not, then you can always have a talk with a school counselor or talk to a therapist online on here that is totally for free.
IDNSoulhealer
Have them sit on the table with you first. Explain what you feel, experience, show them your anxiety or other problems you have now. Wait for their reaction, if they can handle you, stick with them. If they dont know how to react, tell them that is the reason you need to see a therapist, it will save them energy, time and priorities a lot
Anonymous
I know it can at times be intimidating but remember that you deserve the help you need. You deserve to have someone to talk to who can encourage and support you through the struggles in life. Everyone needs support and therapists are a great option. When telling your parents, remember that they want the best for you. It is okay to talk to them openly and show that you would like to talk to someone to improve your thoughts, actions, etc. You deserve the help you are seeking!
Anonymous
Tell them you want to see a therapist. If you’re in school there should be someone available that you can talk to. If you’re worried about your parents not accepting what you want to do, remember self care is important. If you’re not mentally and emotionally healthy, everything else becomes less important.
Anonymous
I think you should tell your mother first. You have to tell your mother about your feelings and your problems. If you're a teenager, tell her that you want to get over of your problems by getting help from a therapist. If you're an adult (I guess not because you don't have to tell your parents if you're an adult) tell them you can make your own decisions and want to see a therapist.
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2018 3:44am
I have found that the best way to tell your parents that you would like to see a therapist is to just tell them. If they ask why and you aren't comfortable opening up or talking about it, tell them in a respectful way. It might be hard for them to understand, and they might even try to force you to talk about it. That's okay. If you really do not want to tell them about it, just stand your ground in a respectful way. They are your parents, and they love you and will do what is best for you.
Pretty0dd
Growing up I had the same problem. I knew I needed help but I didn't know how to ask for it. I never actually had the nerve to talk to my parents about it. It's going to be a very uncomfortable conversation, I'm not going to lie. But the easiest way to do it is to just come right out and say it. Do it in a calm environment and don't beat around the bush. Do it fast and don't over think it, kinda like ripping off a bandaid. It might be hard to do but getting the help you need will be worth it.