Is it my fault that my parents argue all the time?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

KingOfTheFranks
There are a lot of factors involved in why parents argue. It's rare that it's about you as a person. It's good to try and remember that your parents aren't just your parents - They are also friends and children and colleagues just like you and just because they argue while you are there, it doesn't mean that it's because of you :D
samanthaslot97
Of course not. A lot of people go through this and tend to blame themselves as they are in the middle of the conflict, but that definitely does not mean you are the cause of this.
1musicloverever
I don't think so. Sometimes parents just bundle up a lot of stress and make it seem like they're taking it out on you, but that's not the case. If they're fighting a lot it's just stress coming to the surface of things. If you want to somehow help them and all, talk to them and everything. Make sure you treat them nicely because that'll make them feel better about things. Just be there for them as well.
Poland02
It is not your fault that your parents argue all the time. May times it is because they are unhappy with something in their own life that cause them to fight. Also being that we are only human there will be times when parents don't see eye to eye. However, that has nothing to do with their kids.
Anonymous
No. Its never your fault. If your parents are arguing then they are arguing over something between them. Nothing involving you
joyfulRainbow96
May 3rd, 2015 1:25am
No it shouldn't be unless it's about you other then that let your parents deal with there problems .
nancyb03
though it may feel that way, it isn't your fault. relationships are super complicated. people have differences in opinions, discipline styles, approach to conversations/situations...there are so many variables when communicating with someone. other factors like family members or friends, work, financial situations can all cause tons of stress and anxiety...making it hard to deal with the day-to-day things that may seem small. most parents don't want to burden their kids with what is causing them stress or anxiety, making it hard to figure out exactly what's wrong.
mahta
it is not. althought the topic of their arguments is important, what makes you think that it is your fault? feel free to message me
Anonymous
Parents tend to fight over the smallest things. Just as you would get into an argument with your friend or significant other, your parents fight in the same way. This doesn't necessarily mean that you are the cause of their arguments. Sometimes, my parents get into the hugest, loudest, and meanest fights over something as small as replacing the ice tray with water. Never blame yourself for the actions of others!
UnmaskYourDesire
Of course not. But parents are parents. They are doing this for your own good. Don't be angry or upset about that. When you be a parent, you will understand.
StayStrong152
No, it is not your fault. Just like any other relationship, sometimes problems arouse and they may or may not be fixable. it just means that you're parents are hitting a rough patch in their relationship and they need to sort stuff through, if anything happens with them just know that it is not your fault. Relationship don't work out all the time, it just means your parents weren't meant to stay with each other. You should hope for the best though, sometimes arguing is nothing more than just arguing and they will sort it out with time.
If you are having issues with your parents perhaps you could try talking to them about how you feel and how their arguing makes you feel. They may not know. And also parent are under stress for many reasons that may have nothing to do with you. You just need to try to be honest with them about how you are feeling.
UniverseChild
What is going on between your parents has nothing to do with you. There could be many different reasons for why they fight, but i assure you it has nothing to do with you.
jess3456s
No, it is not your fault. I used to think that it was my fault that my parents fought all the time and honestly it wasn't. Your parents are going through their own things that you might not know about because you are their kid. They don't have to tell you everything. Usually they argue about just about anything and it honestly depends, but 100% of the time it is not your fault.
Anonymous
parents argue sometimes its more than you expected but it is never your fault for your parents actions.
Saltedbythesea
No - although it may certainly feel that way. And sometimes they may actually say that to you. But it's about them - not you.
mackylistens629
No, it's not your fault. You are not the source of fights. There are a lot of factors that can fuel arguments. Your parents may have other situations going on causing stress. You're not to blame.
colourfulWind85
No it isn't your fault. Parents fight all the time and if they didn't then you would need to be concerned
GoldenEars77
“We have negative mental habits that come up over and over again. One of the most significant negative habits we should be aware of is that of constantly allowing our mind to run off into the future. Perhaps we got this from our parents. Carried away by our worries, we're unable to live fully and happily in the present. Deep down, we believe we can't really be happy just yet—that we still have a few more boxes to be checked off before we can really enjoy life. We speculate, dream, strategize, and plan for these "conditions of happiness" we want to have in the future; and we continually chase after that future, even while we sleep. We may have fears about the future because we don't know how it's going to turn out, and these worries and anxieties keep us from enjoying being here now.” It is not your fault. Help them to learn how to love themselves and then they will see you and love you. You can do it!
No it isn't. Your parents are grown ups and their actions are based on the choices that they have made.
Anonymous
No, it is not your fault. Their argument is in between them and their own personal flaws/ struggles - it has nothing to do about you.
feelthelyricz
It is not your fault at all. Your parents' arguments are completely based on their problems with them.
Alexisheretohelpyou2
No sweetie, it is not your fault. Partners, and especially parents argue, and its just part of being together. Don't ever blame yourself for this, I used to do that too. Things happen, and parents argue, and sometimes it's almost constant, but it isn't your fault.
originalMusic45
Mom and Dad argued about nothing at all sometimes, and I could normally stay outside of it but other times I just wanted to say "Stop! Please!", and when I did it suddenly became about me being the cause of whatever it was they were arguing about. Took me a long time to realize this was their stuff and nothing to do with me, and the reason they turned on me was so they wouldn't have to deal with the huge problems they had. (They ended up divorced, but left me with the emotional scars...)