I've tried to address things with my family but they still won't change. How do I just let things go?

19 Answers.
SageBunny
January 2nd, 2015 2:47am

You can't change your family, you can only change yourself and your reaction to their behaviors. Some people just aren't ready to change, or possibly incapable of it. You've aired your issues and they know how you feel. Time might help things to get better for you. Either way, make yourself a priority and don't let others derail you from making sensible decisions for yourself. Hope this helps!

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
ChocoholicMouse

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

dagebre

You can only help people who want to be helped. Don't waste your energy, especially if you feel that they're refusing to change simply because you're asking them to. Leave them alone and they'll come around sooner or later. In the meantime, you'll feel less resentment.

Brettlstar

It is common for this to happen with people and it can feel isolating, sometimes like your doing the wrong thing. I think it's important to do what you think is the right thing for you and trust that they will accept you in time. Perhaps a short time, perhaps a few years but ultimately families just want to see their children successful and happy. This simply means you are growing into your own person. There is a book on this by Robbin Skinner and John Clease - Families and how to survive them. It goes into this in detail and it's an easy but informative read. I hope that is of some help.

Alexandra16Alison

Think about what makes you happy. Forget negative thoughts and think possitive. Life is really beautiful, you should enjoy it at it's fullest. Because after every storm there is a rainbow.

BlushBabe

You need to see things from their side of view. Even if it is bad, think of what they are going through

redwhispers

You can never change what someone thinks, and that's a fact that people have to accept. You just have to try to accept the fact that not everyone will have the same opinion as you and may oppose what choices you make, that's how life is. And the first step to letting things go is accepting that.

HerforU2580
November 1st, 2014 5:07pm

then you need to understand that some people will never understand because of that will not understand. Knowing this will help you to let go

EIB94

Letting go can be difficult when others will not let it go themselves. It may be needed for the individual to move as individual growth is important in this case it seems.

joeds94

As long as you're a nice person and you've gone about it in a good manner, in my opinion that's all that matters and they'll see how much of a nice person you are and what they're missing. Let them make the effort with you.

Anonymous

First, I feel we need to come to the realization that certain things are out of control. After accepting this, I feel we can begin to let things go.

cityview14

Hey there! I'll try to give u my best Just give it another try... And try to understand that why are they not getting you? Sometimes by understanding the otherone will help you to get ur self understandable... Hope that will help Stay blessed! :)

Eli911

It is always easier to change yourself because you wish to change. It is very hard to change others because they have to want to change themselves. It is up to the individual to want to change. Just remain on your decision and stay strong.

AloneAcneLove

I am sorry to say this. But you can try study overseas or move out of the house. So you wont have to deal with your family's problem and create a new life of your own.

MissCarla

It's not as simple as just letting things go, none of us here have walked in your shoes and none of us know your exact position.

BeastIsTheBeauty

You have to not care. Flip the switch. Otherwise it eats at you. My father and mother are so wrapped up in their pride and ego that tgey didn't take my offer for us all to sit down and lay all our feelings on the table. They feel justified in their actions or they fall back on "I'm only human." it's pathetic when your own parents won't admit to their faults... Such skills. Anyways, you have to not care. Because obviously they don't care how you feel. Th e y don't care enough to change.

Anonymous

Be patient. Everything happens for a reason. Don't take things too seriously, try understanding their side of story and If you still don't feel good about it, then let them be and try to comfort yourself by distracting your thoughts elsewhere :) Try to be happy

Anonymous

If you have no one to talk to, try writing it in a diary or try to stay occupied with something that you really enjoy. Writing down in a diary is like talking to someone and you can be as open as you want. Of course it might not be as good but at the least you don't bottle things up; it'll make you more stress. Being occupied with something makes you concentrate on a different matter and still keeps you brain going, It could range from just reading books or going out to exercise and do activities. This method might not work away but you should still try it out so instead of mourning or keep remembering those things. Once you feel better, try to come back and address those problems, you might have a different point of view of them by then.

AiLaikHeda

Family drama. Boy is it a pain... Things can never be "Just let go" because they are your family and it hurts when they hurt you or vise versa. -Write a letter explaining how you feel -Sit them down and take the floor, and they will have time to respond when you are done. -Give them time to figure the situation out themselves, if they let it go, dont hold onto it.

Mamart25

We are only responsible for changing one person in this journey of life and that person is ourselves. The change you can make is the perspective you see things from and sometimes accepting that things are not going to change is all the change one may need.