My boyfriend or girlfriend is embarrassed of me. What should I do?

Deane Rain Marie, LMFT

I take a holistic approach in working with eating disorders, mood disorders, relationships, and the LGBTQ community. I use EMDR, Dreamwork, Stories, CBT and Cinema therapy.

WaningMoon
Why is your boyfriend or girlfriend embarrassed. I cannot give you any advice but I can listen to how you feel.
patientBlueberry20
Never put up with anyone who is embarrassed of you. If they can't love you in public, then they can't love you behind closed doors. Take me as am I, or let me go and let someone else love you right!
gentleHoney34
This is a difficult situation; it's never easy to deal with someone who is embarrassed of us. You shouldn't have to be in a relationship like that. Have you thought about leaving?
StrongerThenEmotions
They aren't a real boyfriend/girlfriend if they are embarrassed of you. If they can't accept who you are, leave them
calmingwaves12
I think you should have a proper discussion about this and how you feel about this with them. Chances are they might not be embarrassed but you just feel that way. If they are embarrassed it might be time to really think about if they are a positive for your life, I believe if you're with someone and they truly care for you, they should not be embarrassed.
kristakaw
Talk to them. Ask your boyfriend or girlfriend what they think is embarrassing about you. If it's something small and you think you can work on so that it benefits you above all else, then try and see about fixing it. But if they can't give you an exact answer then it may be time to evaluate the relationship. There's no point in being in a relationship with someone who doesn't see and value you for who you are.
laviouderis
I suggest you just simply talk to her. Sit down and just explain the situation. And listen to her side.
Anonymous
Find out what she or is embarrassed of you about. Work on a solution to change it too. Also, consider if you want to continue a relationship with someone else who is embarrassed of you.
blissfulCupcake
You shouldn't have to change the way you are just because someone feels embarrassed of you. You should love yourself for who you are and they should learn to accept that
Kelleyd83
Maybe sit down with him or her and ask them what embarrasses them about you. Any sort of dialogue is preferred to silence. And if a middle ground can't be achieved, then drop the issue.
thefunstripes14
be the one whose proud of your own self. be strong and tell yourself that it's okay and they're embarrasement is nothing but dust.
kindMoment44
Address the situation by talking t them. Honesty is the foundation of every relationship that is real.
Anonymous
I think you should talk about it with him to see why he is embarrassed of you. If he says something about you personally I would find someone who wants to be with you in public and everywhere. Not just in his bedroom.
YourbetterThanThat
I Believe you should confront them about the situation and how you feel about it. If they persist you should let go of them. Sometimes letting go can cause less damage then holding on. You deserve to be with someone that loves you for who you are. You should be with someone that cherishs your imperfections. If they are embarrassed they arent worth it.
Anonymous
If they are embarassed of you, you need both to talk about it, fix it or break up. This kind of relationship is never good for any side. It's much better to stay with someone who love all of you (including weird parts), than with someone who deeply want you to change.
Anonymous
Talk to them about it and ask why they are embarrassed by you and ask what you can do to change it.
BraveSparrow56
Firstly, talk to them about it. Honesty is the key to any relationship :) If he/she really cares about, I'm sure they will make the effort to put themselves in your shoes and understand where you are coming from. If it doesn't work and your partner is continuous embarrassed of you, I mean, it shows that he/she is unable to accept you for who you are.
Cosmiclover01
Well, your partner should never be embarrassed of you. If that is the case, you need to figure out what or why. Someone should always accept you for who you are. Don't change for somebody else.
interestingBerry24
Well that's not good. If they love you they would not do or say anything like that. So I would not be around this person.
strawberrySoul25
November 21st, 2015 10:30am
You should leave him/her. If they are embarrassed of you that means they don't love you enough to say that your their girlfriend/boyfriend
AyaNaomi
November 21st, 2015 8:15pm
As long as you are enjoying the freedom of being completely yourself, without hurting anybody's else right to be themselves as well, your bf/gf has absolutely no reasons to be embarrassed of you. You should speak to him/her openly about his/hers feelings in order to see where he/she is coming from, but manage to mantain stable and confident if you do not agree with his/her views.
Anonymous
November 22nd, 2015 11:45am
talk to them and ask them why are them embarrassed of you. if they think so, why being with them????
Anonymous
What should do is sit down with him/her and ask them why they are embarrassed by you, is what you wear or the way you act? Sit down and talk about how you can improve this
greenJOHN1971
First, why do you think you boyfriend or girlfriend is embarrassed of you? What is it that you are concerned about? Let's try to understand this together. I'm sure we can figure this out.
neverendingLove101
If there embarrassed of you then there probably not the right person for you I would suggest talking to them about it and trying to solve the problem.
Anonymous
Everyone deserves someone in their life who doesn't feel embarrassed of them. You deserve someone good. Someone who know you're perfect in your own way, and no one should feel embarrassed of you.
Anonymous
well i don't think i'm da right person to give u a straight answer of what should you do. emotions & circumstances can't be put in a format & it varies from person to person. but if u want a general answer then my answer is- if someone loves you,he/she would not be ashamed of u. even if u have some serious issues, then the person would try to help you overcome it not put mental pressure on u by showing the symptoms of being ashamed. u can try to confront him/her & clear your doubts. if still that doesn't work...find someone who is proud of the person you are.
proudSun63
It would probably be best to reconsider your relationship with that person. If they are embarrassed of you, why not find someone who will appreciate you?
GinaDreamer30
Talk to him about the subject Share how you feel on this issue And if it continues it embarrasses firing.
xXmyromanceischemicalXx
I think you should talk to them and tell them that it is bothering you. If they are embarrassed of you then you should not be with them.