My father is always angry - what should I do?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

LittleMelody
This may not be the best thing to do, but stay calm no matter what. Kind words affect fragile people. It takes time to do so, but it's worth it when the person is precious to you. So, better take it easy than making it worse by acting the same way your angry dad does.
wukongthedork
Your father's anger is no reflection on you. If he seems to be more irate than usual, I would go and find a safe place to hang out until he calms down. If he ever gets too angry and you feel he may come to try and hurt you, I would call 911 immediately.
Cameron1
You should try see why's he is angry if it's for no reason try talk to him and ask why is he angry all the time. If that does not work and he is violent contact your local council service
heretohelp177
Life can be Stressful and sometime we forget how stressful and hard it is for our parents. Try to understand what there going though and support them to your best ability. But don't forget to take care of yourself first!
Kastoway
Advice from me wont change anything, but my father is mad a lot too. All I try to do is stay on his good side and if he starts to yell or gat angrier, I just put some space between us so he can cool down. Whatever you think would help.
Anonymous
Try to talk to him! Tell him you are worried that he is angry all the time and he might be able to calm down.
Emilybrewer1
Well, YOU are the child in the family. I know at times it seems like you need to do something about some situations but you need to remember that issues your parents are having should not be your responsibility. This goes for anyone. In my case. My dads addiction to alcohol is not my problem to deal with and if I do try to do something about it, it does nothing but bring me down.
Maddiejb202
Have you considered talking to him about it? That is one solution. Also, you could talk to a trusted famly member about how you feel towards his anger. What's causing his anger? Could you help fix it? Hope this helps. :) You aren't alone.
verboseIcarus42
Well, I cannot really give advice, but I relate to your situation. If you feel comfortable doing so, please try and talk to him at a time when he seems passive enough to approach. If you prefer going indirectly, I'd suggest leaving a note about how you feel for him to read and reflect upon. If things get worse, refer to the 7 Cups resource guide.
Animeandchillpls
It really depends on whether your father is angry at your or at someone/something else. Is your father an alcoholic? If so, make him go to rehab so he can stop drinking so much. If he is not an alcoholic, he's just always angry, you should avoid contact with him. Give him space, stay in your room. However, if he is violent to you, or maybe to your siblings, mother... [etc] report him to the police for disciplinary actions and help on his anger. Violence can lead to many more problems and to someone getting seriously injured.
HereToHelpYou742
Honestly move out if your old enough if they are putting you down. If not set clear boundaries and sometime avoid them to prevent conflicts. get some family therapy to learn how to communicate in a better way
Talk2Heart
It is important to think of a situation from the other person's point of view. Try to look at the world through their shoes. Compare their behavior to their character. What do they value? What are you failing to do? What makes them angry? If they seem to always be angry, talk to them. Communication is key to solving problems, and it works magic!
Anonymous
I'm so sorry to hear this :( I suggest talking to your father and telling him how you feel. if he knows you feel this way he will might try and change his behaviour. Hope everything gets better! :) message me anytime!
AshiiGirl
Father being angry is never a nice feeling. Always makes you feel like it is you at fault, when sometimes it may have nothing to do with you. Your father could just be going through a hard time and doesn't know where to point his anger. Sadly we normally hurt the ones we love most.
Anonymous
Try to stay calm and figure out what helps to calm him down. It's a really unfortunate situation but perhaps you can try discussing the issue with him when he's not upset?
lifewarrior19
try to figure out what are the things that makes him angry , and avoid doing them or making them happen , when your father see that all the things that makes him angry disappear he will be ok ! you just have to figure it out if it was a thought or an idea or an action that makes him so mad like that , after you figure it out , deal with the problem and it will make him calmer!