My mom doesn't accept me for me. I am bisexual but she's so christian. How can I get her to understand who I am without the religion included?

Jessica McDaniel, LPC

I have been practicing cognitive behavioral psychotherapy since 2005 with a diverse group of clients, all ages, races, and socioeconomic classes.

While religion has often been traditionally associated to close-mindedness towards LGBT topics, the very heart of the Christian religion and its most basic principles are not in contrast with LGBT realities in any way. You can try to tell your mother how you feel and remind her that the message of Christianism is love, acceptance, respect. Your identity does not prevent you from following the Christian principles of love and not harming others, because who you are and who you love does not harm anyone in anyway, it only lets you experience the joy of love, that love that Jesus set as the "new commandment" in the gospel.