My parent discourages me from expressing my emotions. How can I vent?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

2genpoet
December 22nd, 2015 10:15pm
Parent are human beings, believe it or not we are. And no one likes facing their limitations. And no one hold up a mirror to my face and shows me my shortcomings better than my kids. We get hurt. And you guys can hurt us. A lot. So sometimes we ask you to stop. Go find a sibling or a friend to vent to. Understand our pain
Dovah
A diary is a great idea! Not only can you vent anonymously, It's often good to track your progress, see what makes you feel happy, and what potential triggers have caused anxieties, sadness and so on :)
DayDreaming
Is important to tell your parents how you feel about this. Then, try to write down all your feelings, talk to a friend or look for some theater class.
Pandette
I am really sorry to hear that your parent discourages you from expressing your emotions. Sometimes it is necessary because you don't want to keep all of this in the back of your mind. What about trying to write in a journal or expressing your emotions through music or art? There are tons of things you can do! Just see what works best. Sending lots of love and hugs your way!
openmindkindheart
7 Cups of Tea is a great place to vent. Of course trusted friends are okay to vent to as well, however just be careful to not constantly talk about your problems. Often times friends will not know what to say or they feel like they cannot talk about their own problems. It is a two way relationship. There are are also professionals such as counselors, or even other family members you feel comfortable talking with. Writing in a journal might also be of some help.
Hopefulfuture95
There are many different ways to vent, you could get your own diary, you can vent all your feelings out in there. Write everything your feeling down, all your anger and frustrations out into the diary. You can vent your anger by joining a gym and using a punch bag, hit it as hard as you possibly can. Get all that anger out into the punch bag. You could draw how you are feeling, so make pieces of art that represent how you are feeling. There are many different ways, you just have to find the one that works for you.
You can take time alone in your room or anywhere that you feel private and just vent. You don't have to vent only when there is people around. You can also vent in private by yourself just to feel better.
ezria
You can always speak with a close friend or find support websites, such as 7 Cups, to vent and speak to someone about your thoughts and emotions.
RaleighC
You can go for a run; write your feelings in a journal or express yourself through poetry or song; scream into your pillow; talk to a supportive friend; find a great listener on 7 Cups Of Tea :). There are lots of ways you can vent, even if showing emotion isn't encouraged in your family.
AnnieElen
Just tell them how you feel. Letting feelings out is not a bad thing. They're your family, they will understand.
RYBH
Your friends are really great people you can vent to, or another trusted adult at school is always a good idea.
Anonymous
There are many forms of expressing ones emotions. Often times, people think of "venting" as a communicating verbally, but there are many other ways to vent. Such ways include painting, listening to music, writing in a journal, or even coming onto 7 cups and listening to our trained listeners!
JenTink
I find writing gets stuff off my chest and allows me to say whatever I'm feeling at the time. The writing doesn't even have to be kept, it can be thrown away!
Anonymous
on here is a great way to vent, ive been there. feeling as if theres no way to express my emotions. I feel how frustrating it must be. come on here and vent. if you want to talk to me im here for you. writing is a great way to vent. and im sure friends would be a great listening ear for you as well
Anonymous
Is there someone else in whom you can confide, like a family member or a good friend? Is it possible to see a therapist (many colleges offer free therapeutic services)? Does talking to a listener on here one-on-one help, or perhaps the group chat? You can also vent in other ways, like art, music, and writing. What do you imagine would relieve you?
Uniqueg
You can always talk to one of our listeners, or talk to your friends, or let your parent know that expressing your emotions is something you need to do!
Anonymous
Online of course! Talk to online listeners on 7 Cups of Tea or Blah Therapy, other ways you can express yourself is through a hobby such as writing or art. Invest in something productive and turn your emotions into something beautiful/meaningful
JoJo17
Try a new sport or hobby? For example, I run 100m and it helps to burn off any anger or frustration.
TurtleTurtle
7 cups is a wonderful way to do just that. If you don't have a signal, a friend works, or even a diary. Many also like art or poetry as coping mechanisms.
Anonymous
You can vent to any of us the listeners on this website! This is why we are here, and we will always be here for you :)
evocaction1
Journaling is a great way to get your feelings out. It can also help you understand yourself more. Over time you'll see patterns in your thinking and that can help you make adjustments.
Anonymous
This website is exactly for this purpose. The purpose of this website is actually to help people who want help, that too anonymously. On here, one can talk to trained listeners and cope with life. :)
EleenaLevellan
7 Cups of Tea is obviously a good example of a non-bias place that you can vent, or seek help from siblings, extended family, close friends and school/local counselors. Another option is to call a help hotline; Kids Helpline is a private and confidential helpline for people aged 5 to 25 on 1800 55 1800. Give them a call!
dalya123
I agree with DOVAH, diaries are the best to vent, because you are venting anonymously and it you are tracking your progress, what makes you happy sad etc
Anonymous
here! everyone is welcome to vent here at 7Cups of Tea! Doesn't matter what it's about, if you need to vent, we've got listeners for it!
benevolentDreamer49
Write, write, write! In journals, write stories, write poetry, anything. You can also try excercise to burn energy and calm down.
CourageousNotDangerous
Do something that you love. I've found that it works really well with me. I enjoy writing, rreading, piano and physical activities. Depending on which emotion you're feeling, you can do different things: Feeling Angry- cook, do boxing Feeling Stressed- play music instrument (piano, vocals, guitar, drums, violin etc.), write in a journal/diary/book Feeling Sad- write, listen to music., go for a run, read
PaleRose12
Write in a journal make a vent account on instagram try going on a walk try to talk to your parents emotions are normal and should not be discouraged.
Anonymous
There are a lot of different ways that you can 'free' these emotions that you've been suppressing. Talking to another family member or a friend who is willing to listen can help, or alternatively, finding a listen on 7 Cups is another way to find relief. Sometimes you might not even need another person to talk to - you can find emotional relief in activities you enjoy and exercise. :)
Anonymous
Understand why is this the case. Maybe your parents need you to express your emotions differently (if you are too honest, too critical) just try managing the situation differently. If the reason is your parents not wanting to hear your emotions there is an issue since you are allowed to have feelings and you have the right to express them. There are ways as a diary, many art forms, friends or siblings. Try to find what works best for you.