My parents are getting divorced - what can I do?

Susana Diaz, lpc

I believed that to be a successful therapist is to be able to empathize and connect with all clients. My work with clients is to help them identify resources to cope.

CoachCicely39
Well first off I would examine the belief as to why you feel the need to do anything. What is it that you are trying to control? What is preventing you from accepting the fact that two grown adults no longer want to be together. I actually think I was done more harm because my parents didn't divorce. There was always fussing and name calling and emotional abuse. To this day I still find myself proving to myself my self-worth. So you have to look at it from a long-range perspective also. Sure it may be painful at first, but how painful could it become if they remained together?
Watermelon67
there is nothing you can do you just have to be there for them both your mother and father if you have any siblings help them understand it is not their fault kids will tend to blame themselves but it is not your fault always keep that in mind
SupportiveSockMonkey
There isn't much you can do unfortunately, just try to keep or build the relationship you want with them. Stay strong and keep involved with them. It is important to remember it isn't your fault.
Anonymous
Divorce is a really hard pill to swallow. Unfortunarely there's nothing you can do to stop it. All you can do is learn how to handle it. Pickup coping skills to help you get through it. Journal about it. Talk to a friend. Talk to your parents. Let them know how you feel.
Anonymous
Your parents are getting divorced-- a tough time to deal with. Being honest, you cannot prevent the actions of people, more or less adults. This time of your life can be extremely tough, and can be a dark time. It's okay to not be okay. As much as you might want for things to go different, there isn't much to do. Care for yourself and do your best to get through it. What helped me in this time was to really just to say "I can do this", relax, and keep your loved ones close. Talking as well with your parents on how you feel about this can help too. best wishes