My parents don't listen to me, what should I do?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling, Certification trauma abandonment

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

supportiveSeal65
Sometimes it is tough living in the same house as your parents. Often times they think they are best, and sometimes that is true. They often don't realize how important it is that you feel heard, understood, and appreciated. Though there is no way to force your parents to listen to you, try writing your thoughts and suggestions down in a journal. Maybe even write letters to your parents. You don't have to give them the letters, but you can get out your thoughts. You could also try having a respectful heart to heart with your parents. Try to keep your cool and consider their perspective! It's hard to get anyone to hear you out if you shut them down. Best of luck!
Apollosdaughter
April 22nd, 2018 6:12am
Keep calm and analyze the situation. Do meditation for a while. The 7cups self-help is the best try it. Listen to your heart. Ask your parents the reason behind it. But do that politely. Keep yourself in their shoes and then look at the situations. Trust your heart and then take decisions. You'll get better results. I will pray for you. 😃
happysunrises
You need to be assertive and tell them how you feel. If they don’t listen, don’t be afraid to tell them
MadisontheGemini1717
Ask to talk to them about it and explain to them how you feel and why you feel this way. That way, they are aware of your feelings and fix the problem
WonderlandDream3
Maybe try talking to them about how you feel when they don't listen to you. Mention that a family unit should be attentive to everyone's emotional needs
Sweetcaring77
Spend time with your parents. Tell them everything you do in day. Do it everyday and try to convince them whatever you want
Anonymous
try explaining things to them more thoroughly and make them see your point of view and how you feel
Hash394
The parent-child relationship is a complex one, and it's hard to find the balance between authority and love. Personally, I feel like my parents listen to me only when they know that I myself am sure about what I'm talking about. They are yet to say no to me for something I know is a foolproof good idea. And if not, they offer to help me, despite initial resistance. I think the biggest piece of advice I have here is to not lie or hide things from them. Transparent honesty has made my parents trust me, and for that very reason I am sure they will support me no matter what.
RedRose82
Sit down with them and talk about the pros and cons of whatever it is they won't agree to. If the pros outweigh the cons and its not a stupid decision then I'm sure they might at least listen to what you have to say.
timaeusTestified1203
It is a tough situation to be in. Try mentioning to one of them how you wish they would listen more, in a respectful manner. If that doesn't work, let me know when you figure it out. :(
Aquadreamer4151
listen to yourself you are the creator of your own destiny you do not need others to listen to you only yourself
Anonymous
Dear if your parents don't listen to you should try and have a family meeting with them and if that does not work you should go to a family counseling session for communication in a family is the most important part of being a family and there needs to be listening on both sides of the spectrum.
friendlyBeach26
Hello, your parents don't listen? That can be tough. What is it that they don't hear? What are they doing or listening to when they are not listening to you? It sounds like you want to get active and do something about this. Knowing how they are not listening or what else they are listening to will help you to take some active steps towards finding a day to do something about this issue. You have identified a challenging aspect of your relationship with your parents. It takes courage to recognise, this. In addition you are taking first steps to change the situation. I look forward to your response.
HonestyinComfort123
Try to talk to them about how you feel, using an 'I' statement, like I feel ____ when you _____ to avoid them getting defensive. If that doesn't work, bring in a neutral third party like a teacher, counsellor, therapist, or other family member.
Anonymous
When speaking doesn't help,show it in action. Proving is one way to make your parents understand in certain situation.
Anonymous
I think you should confront them about it, they're your parents after all and you deserve their care. If you don't think you're ready to do that yet, you can talk to other close people to you
Emilybrewer1
This is a hard one.. I am sure it is rough when you think your parents aren't listening like when they choose their phone or other electronic over us. One thing that helps for me is if I want to tell my mom something, I will say "mom" but will not start talking until she holds eye contact with me. That lets me know she is listening and paying attention.
Anonymous
It is sad that you are facing some difficulties talking with your parents and that might be very painful. Please, come and talk with someone. Give us some more information and we will be able to help you.
Jaelin
It helps to sit them down and tell them nicely but decisively "Look, you taught me to respect others, and part of respecting others is respecting their views and opinions. Likewise I think I deserve that same respect from you-my parents." And see how they respond when forced to look at it from that perspective. They may see the error of their ways.
Anonymous
If talking to them doesn't work, you could always talk to another family member and try to get them to reach out to them.
JeshuaMorbus
I know this sounds hard but, first of all, put yourself into your parents' shoes. Sometimes, haste or pride prevents you of judging well your own position. Once you do this, try to get to them one more time. If that doesn't help, then try to find a roundabout way to reach them, like finding information about their close position. Everything to understand, never to fight.
Dreamer123456
Are your parents often busy? sometimes they can't help it if they have busy lives. if you want them to listen you need to make them! If they continue to not pay attention try talking to friends and teacher. People ypu can trust.
TalkToPranks
February 22nd, 2018 7:30am
Sometimes, it’s hard to get your parents to understand you.Even though they were your age once, you might feel that they simply can’t relate to you or your struggles. But, if you want to have a close relationship with them, you need to be able to speak to them effectively. You can help your parents understand you by being honest and open, picking the right time and place to talk, and working to build trust. Make a plan as to how and what would you like to discuss with 'em. Depending on the topic, one of your parents might be easier to talk to than the other. If you feel that that is the case, talk to the parent who you feel most comfortable with. Pull them aside when the other is not at home to have a discussion. Maybe you tried to talk to your parents about this issue in the past, but they refused to hear you out. Remember that sometimes in-person chats are not the best route. Consider emails, texts, or letters if your parents are not good listeners or if you are afraid to talk to them. Give them some time. Even if your parents do not understand you immediately, don’t worry! People often need some time to process things before they can completely get them. If you are hoping your parents will change their mind about something, give them some time. Until then, respect their decision. Hope this works for you! Good Luck :)
Anonymous
Communication skills are very important in every relationship/friendship. Have you ever tried sitting down with them and having an actual conversation? no distractions or such? if not, I would definitely try that.
BroadwayBaby
Well, maybe they don't notice that? Talk to them and find out. That's always the best way. To be honest will help.
charmingHeart92
Try to make them know that you are the capable one. Soon, they will start listening to you. They must know that you are telling anything only for good purpose, which automatically convinces them. Anyone cannot make a person to listen to her/him forcefully. so, you have to gain it.
Anonymous
Understand what they are not listening to you about. Parents generally want what's best for us, so you should understand their opinions and know where they're coming from.
colorfulParadise22
If your parents don't listen to you, try listen to them. Think before you answer or say anything to them. Or you could sit down with them and explain how you feel
miraculousHeart62
Try talking to them about how you are feeling when they ignore you and talk to them about the things you could do to improve your relationship.
Anonymous
Try writing them a note. Or keep talking to them until they listen. Parents sometimes dont know how to listen to their kids. Just try and make a nice approach