My parents don't listen to me, what should I do?

Turkey

Caglagul Turhan, Msc

Art Therapist

I believe that being aware of who a person is, will help to make the life better. I help children, adolesences, adults and parents for understanding themselves

serendipity2000
In most cases, parents do want to have a healthy relationship with their children. To get your parents to listen to you, you first need to listen to them. Try to understand what they are saying. For example, if you ask for something eg. to go somewhere, or to get something. and they say no immediately without considering your point of view. You have to remain calm and assertive and ask them something along the lines of "why is it so important that I cannot go here/get this" Then try to actively listen to their response and understand it. Then they will be much more likely to listen to your point of view. The key is for you to remain calm, assertive and focused on finding a solution no matter how your riled up or annoyed your parents appear to get.
JeshuaMorbus
I know this sounds hard but, first of all, put yourself into your parents' shoes. Sometimes, haste or pride prevents you of judging well your own position. Once you do this, try to get to them one more time. If that doesn't help, then try to find a roundabout way to reach them, like finding information about their close position. Everything to understand, never to fight.
DanaMH
Have a family meeting write down an agenda so you don't forget what you want to talk about and discuss your feelings and make them hear you. If that doesn't work then tell a teacher at school to help you.
Anonymous
Try talking to them and staying calm instead yelling or getting angry! This immensely helps out a lot!!! Why dont you try doing What they would expect from you? Something that would please them! Hope this helps
saline
alot of time we feel that closed ones are very distances. and because of that we feel very frustrated. the best answer is in your hands . I could give you one but is it what you need.
Dreamer123456
Are your parents often busy? sometimes they can't help it if they have busy lives. if you want them to listen you need to make them! If they continue to not pay attention try talking to friends and teacher. People ypu can trust.
Zakkuchan
February 21st, 2018 6:37pm
If your parents don't listen to you go to someone that actually does listen to you because they will give you the necessary support you need.
TalkToPranks
February 22nd, 2018 7:30am
Sometimes, it’s hard to get your parents to understand you.Even though they were your age once, you might feel that they simply can’t relate to you or your struggles. But, if you want to have a close relationship with them, you need to be able to speak to them effectively. You can help your parents understand you by being honest and open, picking the right time and place to talk, and working to build trust. Make a plan as to how and what would you like to discuss with 'em. Depending on the topic, one of your parents might be easier to talk to than the other. If you feel that that is the case, talk to the parent who you feel most comfortable with. Pull them aside when the other is not at home to have a discussion. Maybe you tried to talk to your parents about this issue in the past, but they refused to hear you out. Remember that sometimes in-person chats are not the best route. Consider emails, texts, or letters if your parents are not good listeners or if you are afraid to talk to them. Give them some time. Even if your parents do not understand you immediately, don’t worry! People often need some time to process things before they can completely get them. If you are hoping your parents will change their mind about something, give them some time. Until then, respect their decision. Hope this works for you! Good Luck :)
LiamPayneLovr
Talk to them about how you feel. It's possible that they don't even know that you feel that way and they will be happy to fix it.
Anonymous
Build up a logical argument to get what you want. If that doesn't work think to yourself why are my parents not listening to me? Do I have to prove myself in some way to get their respect so they will listen?
SunnyGab
Sit down with your parents and have a rational disccusion about how you want to be treated as a human being and that they should listen to some of the things you have in mind.
Kallie112358
Approach them in a calm and logical manner (it might help to communicate via writing such as email or text) try to leave emotion out of the conversation and give them as many opportunities to get involved in the conversation as you can. Most people love to be asked for help or for their opinion so try starting it that way. Or if it is something sensitive try framing it as you are trying to help a friend and what advice should you give them.
AthenaPanda
You should find a way to make them listen. Nothing bad. Or if need be tell your school to call and talk with them.
Happyjustlikethefutureyou
You should try and make them understand how important it is for you and sometimes also listen to them as they will always love you. They will always be there for you so give them some time and everything will be alright.
AprylFools
I'd suggest speaking to them on a personal level, try to explain that they make you feel like they're not listening. See how that goes.
CharlieSharkie
Try to put whatever points you have forward in a straightforward and mature manner: This can encourage them to see at eye level with you, and to hear you out
AmazonGirl
I understand how frustrating it is when our parents do not see eye to eye. One good rule of thumb you should accept is that they do not "have to" listen to you. Have you considered approaching them from a different perspective? Maybe a conversation where all parties can truly participate?
Ana4hear
Every relationship has some give and takes. In parent child relation also it is two way relation. If you want your parents to listen to you, start listening to them. It’s like a ping pong ball, the ball will bounce back with the same energy you have put in.
Anonymous
Parents can be quite tricky. Just remember they are human too and sometimes they don't want to listen either! Having a chat to them about how you feel can clear up a few things and then they should start listening to you more.
calmRose91
Have you tried writing them a letter and giving it to them? Then it's not a case of you trying to talk to them, but write down that you feel like they don't listen in the letter you give them.
AnnaLs
There might be a lack of communication between you and your parents that you need to talk it out with them. Try to do that when they're not busy. You should not take it personal because they have their own problems and need personal space sometimes but when they're free and ready to listen to you, make your point. Also, one thing you can try is to be (or almost try) to be more responsible.
FreeSpirit1991
Have you a different way of communicating with them? Like try writing it down in a letter? That way they can't argue with a letter and it alliws them to process the information.
Anonymous
June 2nd, 2016 2:48am
Sometimes, depending upon how open they are about a situation, mood or even their environment. But for the most part yes.
sheenaelisan
I'm sorry you don't feel heard. That can be tough. How and when do they make you feel this way? Also, how long do you feel like they haven't been listening?
Anonymous
Go seek someone who will listen to you. Someone you trust.
dancingUnicorns39
Talk calmly with them. Try to show them you can deal with problems and that you need to make your own mistakes. Try show them you are mature enough to handle things.
BigHeartBetty
Sit them down and have a talk about communication. Tell them that you're frustrated, hurt, etc. avoid using accusing phrases like "you did this" or "you make me feel ___". Be calm, rational, and above all, RESPECTFUL. Use phrases like "it makes me frustrated when I feel I'm not being listened to" or perhaps "all I need is for you to listen".
Anonymous
Try to understand what your parents are behaving, maybe they too have problems. Try to talk to them when you feel that they're in a good mood. And ask them politely that you have to say something important to them.
PurpleTammy10
Be sure to not get upset if your parents do not listen to you. Try and approach them in a respectful manner and explain to them why you need them to hear you out.
xoAlixo
I was honest with my dad one day about what I truly wanted and how it will make me feel if I got what I wanted. He listened to me and was very kind.