My parents don't listen to me, what should I do?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling, Certification trauma abandonment

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

Anonymous
Sometimes writing a letter allows for better communication in that no response is necessary but allows you to express your feelings. When you express your feelings in person sometimes parents listen to respond rather than listen to understand so putting your feelings down on paper makes it easier for them to absorb what is being said since they dont need to come up with a response they can just read and let it soak in. Parent are human too doing the best they can with what they have, be patient dont give up trying to be heard. good luck
cantaloupe88
It's definitely super tough when we don't feel like our parents are hearing us. It can lead to feeling invalidated and alone. It might help to do a bit of self care just to destress a bit, things that make you feel better! Self care includes art, music, writing, watching TV, just anything you do for fun :) Then maybe once you feel destressed you could talk to your parents about how it makes you feel that they don't listen to you, if that's possible. If not then keeping a journal or writing down how you feel might help!
BraveTurtle6123
Growing up can be difficult. Many teens and young adults face challenges feeling heard by their parents or parental figures in their lives. It's important to note communication goes both or all the ways: there's how we communicate, how others communicate to interact with us and how we take their reactions and responses. I'm not sure what's going on with your parents but sometimes, parents have very valid and logical reasons they do not always seem to hear what is being said or they do not respond well. It may help to communicate differently such as with "I-statements" to emphasize yourself in the conversation.
Rainyshine
It’s completely normal for your parents to not listen to you because most times they think that since they are the parent, they know better than you. Sometimes it is correct in cases that you want to do something dumb or rude. But in other cases, it could be serious. Some parents don’t believe in things such as extreme anxiety and other disorders that deserve to be treated. I’m not good at advice, but you should, first of all, explain to them about the situation and let them realize the graveness of it. Once you’ve got that in grasp, you have a right to be heard by them!
flower9191
A lot of people struggle with parents and communication. There can be ways of speaking to them. Maybe writing down on a piece of paper how you feel, express yourself, sharing with them what it is that is bothering you, ask them what bothers them about you. And then talk to them and bring up those points. Have an open mind. Communication and understanding is the key. Having a calm environment is also important. Definitely sharing feelings and expression is important, because we don't want to keep building things that are bugging us inside. We want to be able to share.
Lysmkeepgoing
You should try to talk to them about it and let them know how you feel, to let them know that you don’t like the way they are behaving with you. You have to let them know that you don’t like the way they are treating you. If this doesn’t help, try talking to another family member about it or even request to go to family therapy. I’ve been here before and talking to my parents about it really helped. If they continue to disregard you, turn to a trusted family member! They could always give some great advice but remember you're never alone in this!!