What age is too young to leave home?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
no age is too young to leave home! as long as you have some sort of sustainable income and that you are fit and eligible to make money, then go for it!
Anonymous
Before you leave home you need to be fully aware of how to care for yourself, or have someone that can help you with this, this may lead you to be old enough to hold a job that can support you leaving home and know how to keep your own finances, paying bills and buying food and home products, if you have all this covered your probably old enough to leave home :)
Anonymous
Do you feel like leaving your home ? Or do you know someone who would like to ? How old is the person we're talking about ?
GottafallBeforeyouFLY
I think that any age that is under 18. Is too young to leave home. Although, it also depends on your living situation.
EcstaticAdventures
I believe you should stay at home until you graduate high school at least. There are few exceptions though, if it isn't a healthy environment, I do suggest finding a friend or another family member with a stable home. It is important to finish school and to have a healthy environment to do so.
Anonymous
If you are under 18, then you are too young. First finish high school then you can proceed to explore your options once you are a legal adult.
Anonymous
It honestly depends from person to person. But I think teenagers should wait until they are at least 19-20. That way, they can experience at least a year of college with a strong support system before going out into the world on their own.
Anonymous
It's totally up to the parents and how responsible the person is. There are some rules about what age you can leave home.
calmSky97
It is one's choice to leave home. Important things to consider if you want to leave home at a young age is to have a stable job and if you can offord to leave alone or with room mates.
CharlieMorningstar
Emotional maturity is far more important than physical age. There are people who have left home at sixteen years old and did very well, and some that left at twenty-five and couldn't handle it. In the United States, leaving before eighteen could be a problem, as you're not legally an adult.
1youarebeautiful1
In our country you're so young to leave home unless you're 18. But you can leave home when you go to the college in 15 years, but you go home every weekend.
MysticBelinda
You are only to young to leave home, when you are not ready for that step. Legally, state laws differ on this matter. But what really needs to be considered, is if you can support yourself financially and emotionally.
Hayles0111
I believe 18 and under is to young to leave home. Being under 18 means your still dependant. Meaning that coping alone can be stressfull. Taking on tasks that adults do at such a young age.
Magnificentcat94
Under 18 isn't a very good age to leave home because your focus should be on your studies not figuring out bills and all the other problems you'll have
magnanimousButton53
18 years minimum should be the age for a person to leave home. Sometimes too young may make a person to take wrong decision
caringdaisy
It probably depends on the person and there maturity. Of course you need to think of everything - are you old enough to get a job? If not then you cant leave because you cant buy food or clothes or shelter. If you can get a job - if you dont have one you need to find one first. Can that job pay for rent, groceries, clothes, electricity, water and everything else.
peacefairy
I think age below 20 is too young for leaving home because you don't knew much about the outside world
onedirection1213
im guess 18 and younger because you havent learnt enough stuff to leave home! like your probably not mature enough
MeiStorm
I believe it's too young when you aren't mature enough yet. Age shouldn't decide, maturity should. :)
Pourrir
I do not believe that there's an age requirement for people to leave their home.. It could happen when the person wants to live on his own if he / she is ready for it.. It's not even a must to leave it, anyone has a right to stay as long as they want with their family..
MarchSand
I don't think theres an specific age for this situation. I think you're too young to leave home when you don't have the means to survive by yourself and the abilities and capacities to be an autonomous human being.
Anonymous
The age that is too young to leave home is any age under 18. When you are under the age of 18 you need your parents in your life. You just are unstable on your own.
awesomeVision52
Till you don't get independent & learned to take care of yourself. It is never good to leave home when you don't have a secure plan.
caringButterfly14
It all depends on ones background and living situation. Some people are ready or have the need to leave at an early age where as others dont.
Anonymous
People mature at varying rate so I don't think there is a universal number for that. Leaving a home where a person grew up is a personal choice. Many do this when a suitable opportunity comes around (for college, a job, friends/significant other who offer to live together) rather than specifically deciding to pack up and leave. Some do leave after careful consideration and often due to being at least to a degree financially and emotionally independent from their caretakers.
Anonymous
If you don't have employment and the means to support yourself, you should not leave home by choice just yet.
Butterfly121
Everyone experiences life in a different way, and everyone has a different home life experience. If you feel like you need to leave home at an early age due to difficult circumstances or any issues you may be experiencing then at least make sure that you have a support network in place to help you make that transition and succeed in life.
MissyK1992
By law, the majority age is 18 years old. I think below 18 years old will still be considered as too young.
HelpKat
I personally think, it depends on your character and your maturity. Some 18 year olds cannot live on their own, because they are too immature, whilst some 15 year olds are able to do it. It depends on your mental state and your own strengths and weaknesses. However, I do believe one should be older than 18 to go live on their own, as younger people might still need their parents/guardians to encourage them to do certain things. However, as I said it always depends on the person himself.
Birdsorbrides
If you are attempting to leave your home and live alone, you must be able to support yourself and provide basic needs for yourself. This includes a shelter, food, and warmth. If you cannot provide these things for yourself, it is best to seek out options that can still allow you to be on your own but not completely.