Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do I do if my father is abusive?

19 Answers
Last Updated: 12/08/2020 at 6:11am
1 Tip to Feel Better
Moderated by

Theresa Gulliver, Registered Clinical Counsellor


Problems cannot be solved using the same level of thinking that created them. We must try something different. Gently, we turn your challenges into opportunities for healing.

Top Rated Answers
August 3rd, 2015 4:53pm
Firstly you need to realise that you don't deserve this. Think is there a way for you to get help? Maybe from a teacher at school, a friend's parent? Social workers? If you can, don't hesitate to get help because you deserve happiness and a good life
February 15th, 2015 10:53am
Please call the cops. I have been in a similar situation and if you fear for your safety and wellbeing, please call the police.
August 13th, 2019 4:07pm
You must think about your own needs and values as a person. It is never okay to be abusive to anyone and there is never a good enough excuse to excuse someone of abusive behaviour. You need to speak out and seek support and help from professional people who are trained in this area. There are so many charities out there who are trained to help people with abusive parents. You do not need to put up with your abusive father, no-one deserves that and you do not have to tolerate it just because he is your father. You can always speak to family or friends for support and help.
April 15th, 2015 11:06pm
If your father is abuse, this is harmful to you physically and mentally. Could you tell a trusted adult like another family member or a family friend or your school counselor? Your father could possibly need to get some help so that he can stop. Telling someone trustworthy is a good choice so that you can be safe. I want you to be safe and for you father to get the help he needs.
April 30th, 2015 4:06pm
The best thing to do would most likely to be to tell a trusted adult, a counselor, or possibly contact a hotline. They may be able to help the situation.
May 9th, 2015 7:59pm
You should definitely speak with someone. Your mom, the doctor, a psychiatrist or someone you can trust.
June 12th, 2015 8:18am
report him to the authorities and that will mean he gets the help he needs, or get him to a professional who can help
June 17th, 2015 2:38pm
You need to seek the abuse hotline immediately or call 911 or you can start a chat on here and we can get you help
September 16th, 2015 12:06am
If you feel that you are being abused, you should seek help through a trusted adult, friend, family member or school counselor.
September 28th, 2015 8:28pm
Tell someone preferably a police officer or teacher. They can take the steps to keep you safe. You never deserve to be abused; especially from someone Ne who is meant to love and take care of you.
January 4th, 2016 2:24am
You have to tell a trusted adult, maybe a teacher or coach or counselor. You can get help many different ways.
January 12th, 2016 5:45am
If my father is abusive i would talk to someone i can trust about the issue and if it occurs again futher procces may take place
February 2nd, 2016 2:47pm
First, you should not try to fight back. Or at least, don't let it go too far. Try to get him to know what he is doing, and how it is affecting you. Talk to your mother about it, if she really loves and cares for you, she will know what to do.
August 1st, 2016 7:37am
Open up to a close friend or a trusted adult. Tell them what is going on, but that you don't know what to do about the situation. Get help from someone you really trust.
May 15th, 2017 9:28am
I suggest for you to talk to someone you trust. The best thing you can do is to report it to a police or a mental health counselor. No one deserves abuse.
August 28th, 2017 4:17am
Seek out an adult you trust and let them know what is going on. It can be a teacher, a parent of one of your friends, or someone you look up to.
November 14th, 2017 8:19pm
Reach out to someone. If you're dealing with an abusive father, you are likely to still be in grade school (1-12). There are counselors who know how to handle these situations. You are never alone; you can get support.
December 10th, 2018 1:37pm
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. If you are actively experiencing abuse, please immediately seek help! Reach out to others in your life like family or professionals (teachers, counselors, etc) and tell them as best you can what's going on. If you feel in danger, please call the police (in the US you can dial 911). It can be scary to seek help, but it's very important for your well-being. You matter too. You are worth getting help. Your safety is the #1 priority. No one should ever be hurting you, physically or mentally. Please ask for help.
December 8th, 2020 6:11am
First of all, If you're seriously being hurt or harmed, tell a trusted adult right away. This can be hard because the abuser (the person who is hurting or harming you) might have frightened you into staying quiet. No matter what the abuser says, abuse is always wrong — and a kid can ask for and get help in a few different ways.can call a special telephone number called a helpline, such as 1-800-4-A-CHILD. This hotline is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Your call is private and the people who answer the phone are trained to help. You also can go to their website to get help. It takes a lot of courage to talk about this kind of thing, and sometimes it takes a while to feel strong enough to talk about it. That's OK! Just know that, in the end, telling a safe person is the bravest thing a kid can do. It can feel really good when a kid takes steps to stay safe and happy and stop abuse from happening. So, If you feel like your parents/guardians are being abusive, contact a trusted adult person, whether it be in person, on the phone or maybe write a note, an email, or send a letter to the trusted adult. You could try and contact your school counselor, teacher, school nurse or coach. If you can't do that, tell a friend's mom or dad, big brother, or big sister. Tell someone who answers the phone at a hotline service, such as 1-800-4-A-CHILD. I hope hope answers your question. Take care of yourself! ~Zahra💕