Whenever I go home, my parents treat me like a teenager again - how can I stop this from happening?

Sandra Butler, AOD, DV counselor

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Experienced in understanding how emotions and feelings affect our lifes in every aspect of interacting, not just with others, but how we process those emotions. I can help you

Harry53
When you are home, and they are doing something that causes you to feel like a teenager again, identify what that is, share that information with them, and ask them to stop. If they don't stop then leave. If you do that consistently, every time you are with your parents, they will eventally stop that behavior.
Anonymous
Tell your parents that your not the teenager they used to know and that you don't like the way they treat you.
Lucinda91
Tell them that you are not a teenager (if you are not). Tell them you want to be treated like an adult and tell them that you are an adult and deserve to be treated and respected like one. It will not change if you do not speak about the issue. So if you can, bring it up with them politely. Being rude about it or yelling will not get your point across and they will most likely ignore your wishes. So be polite and direct about what you want to change.
Anonymous
Tell them nicely that you're an adult now, that you're still their child but you can actually take care of yourself now. And don't forget to actually show them that you are not a teenager anymore by acting like adult.
YouCanTellMePH
Show them that you are mature enough. It will be easy to say that, but being mature means being more honest and showing them that you trust them with their decision. The same thing goes for them, if they see you as someone responsible with you and your own decisions, they would trust you the same.
mermaiden74
If you are a hugger, give them a hug, and tell them how much you love them. Reminisce about the times when you were a teenager. Say something like, " Can you believe it's been X years since then! ...My how time has flown by and things have changed." And then proceed to tell them about your grown up life and responsibilities like you were talking with a friend.
bluesdays007
Although it might annoy you to be treated like a teenager, try to relate to your parents feelings as well: They see their children growing up, moving out and living their own lives. While they are for sure proud of you, it means a different stage of their life as well and they might have some problems to adjust to this new situation too. It might also make them realize that they are getting older, which can be quite scary as well. As for yourself, try to show them in a good way that you have become a mature and responsible person. Tell them about your life in college or at your job and they will realize as well that you are not their little boy/girl anymore. Give them some time and they will not only stop treating you like a teenager, but they will also be incredibly proud of the person that you became thanks to them.
Ky23
In all honesty... let them! It might seem like they are treating you like a child... but homemade meals, advice, and long conversations can't be beat! Not too many other people are as dedicated to you and your life as your parents are. It's not always easy to admit, but appreciate being a teenager again at home because life is not always easy or fair. There's bills or student loans to pay or groceries to buy. Always, always try to show your appreciation to whoever helped you as you grew up.
commandercody209
Depending how old you are, I went through the same problem with my parents, you have to show them truly that you are an adult now and make that clear. Don't say it in a mean way, just let them know that they can trust you with being responsible .
thapi
i believe that there is no best thing to resolve things greater then communication, so maybe you might wanna seat with your parents and ask them why they are doing what they are doing to understand where they come from and give them reasons why you don't want them to do it and see if you could some agreement
Anonymous
By showing your individuality and sense of responsibility. By showing you have matured enough in a way that still respects your parents and others.
HiAJ
Sit down and have a conversation with them about it. If this doesn't help, just try to go to your own space.
Anonymous
You need to be honest with them and tell them how you feel. You don’t have to be rude but if you tell them that you are feeling this way they may back off.
Anonymous
speak to your parents about how you feel in regards to the way they treat you. show them that you're more grown than they perceive, and that they should respect your age.
Anonymous
Just tell them that you don't like to be treated like that. Often times, we just don't grow up to be old enough in the eyes of our parents. On the contrary, as long as your parents aren't limiting you too much, just let it be (:
InFairness
I would suggest communicating this to them. often things happen due to a lack of understanding by one or both parties. communicating that you feel as though they are treating you as a teenager might enable them to reflect on the way they act and change it.
Anonymous
You should try to talk to them about it. Ask them why they are doing it and tell them that you don't like it. Communicate with them.
beautifulDreamer33
Its important to show and give a proof that youre responsible , mature in your opinions and talk with them about that issue with respect, of course.
Anonymous
Prove to them that you are an adult not just by age but by your actions. I think the best way is to show them you are responsible enough for then to trust you.
purplepenguin170
Maybe sit down with your parents and ask them why they treat you like a teenager. Then after you hear their answer, ask them if they can slowly start cutting back on how badly they treat you like a teenager because now you are an adult.
Amie709
i'm 36 years old. my dad still checks on me when i'm driving somewhere and the road conditions are bad. Or, when i'm leaving to go somewhere he will tell me to be careful. he also doesnt let me do the heavy lifting when hes around-he does it instead. there are some ways that your parents are always going to treat you like their child because you are always going to be their child! (not all ways but some ways). i was over 20 and living on my own when i got my first deep fryer and my parents nearly had a heart attack because they were worried about me!!
Arrigo
You probably can't. Your parents will always see you as their kid, even when you'll be forty. I know this sounds discouraging and straight forward, but it's common to feel like your adult kid is still just a kid after all and that works the same everywhere in the world. My advice? Try to enjoy the benefits of it and look over the bad stuff like parents treating you in a lesser way.
Anonymous
Speak to them with a smile and in a happy manner. Tell them that you are managing so well at being independent and in living away from home. Point out how happy and relieved they must feel to see that you have grown up and are managing so well as an adult now and have got through your teenage years safely. That with their help you'd like to continue that adult independence when you return home for a visit.
Anonymous
dress up in a very fancy way, classy style, take some cake or some drinks with you, tell them you came for a quick visit, start off topics like jobs, politics, thing that grown ups are interested about. when you reach thirty minutes tell them goodbye and go home, excuse yourself saying you have important things to do.
Snowfire
Have a heart-to-heart talk with them about how you feel, and try not to accuse, but request different treatment. Explain to them all the ways you have proven yourself to be a responsible adult and tell them you feel you have earned the respect that every adult deserves. Thanking them for helping you become the adult you are today is also a great way to engage them without causing them to become defensive. And try to remember, that to your parents, you will always be their little baby, at least in their hearts. But if they know you need and desire them to view you and treat you as an adult, and how it hurts you when not treated that way, hopefully they will treat you differently.
SpiritAlchemistAlexandra
Find respect for yourself, and see yourself as an adult first. Your parents are only reflecting back at you your own opinion of who you are.
Anonymous
By showing them that you’re older and more mature. Not letting things get in the way, trying to keep a good relationship with them and take on the stuff that comes your way.
MarkodBist
I can relate,look,try not to pay attention to it,in there eyes you are still a baby,and i recommend you go with the flow,because one day they will not be there for you,so enjoy your precious moment's with them
Anonymous
Talking to them about the way that you feel about it would be a good start, and listen to what they have to say in return.
AprylFools
This is just a parent thing, no matter how old you'll become, you'll always be their 'baby'. However, you could try speaking to them about it and explain it's making you uncomfortable.