Why do I like my friends more than my family?

Jennifer Fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

Anonymous
We always choose our friends, but we may not always choose our family. It's natural to build strong and lasting friendships, unique from our familial relationships. Friends usually have similar interests and hobbies to us. They understand some of the struggles we are going through, because they may be also going through those same struggles. For some people, friends turn into family, because that bond becomes so great and inseparable, they may as well be family. And although our family may think they have your best interests at heart, sometimes they can be the cause of stress. It's important to put value in your relationships and cherish the ones that are meaningful to you.
Jippie
Of course, I don't know what your situation with your family or your friends is. But this can have several reasons. One of the possible reasons could be that you feel like you can be yourself more around your friends. Another can be because your family is not very good to you. There could be tons of more reasons that you would like your friends more than your family, so it depends on what you think yourself is the reason.
glowingHope12
Sometimes it's easier to relate to people that are not family because we don't have to watch what we do or say or if our parents or other members of the family find out.
Anonymous
The family and friends relationship is very different. You can't pick your family but you can pick your friends.