Why do my parents not let me get help?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat sessions. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

KendallNichole
January 31st, 2015 3:02pm
Some parents go through denial, where they can't let themselves believe there's anything wrong because they think that'd make them a bad parent or a failure. Some parents might have different beliefs that other things can help. Other parents simply might not understand the situation or what might be wrong. For example if someone's child has depression or bipolar disorder, they might not understand one of those and take it too lightly or too seriously. I definitely suggest asking them whenever you get a chance!
Anonymous
Sometimes parents can feel threatened at the fact they cannot help you as well as someone else. They want it as their responsibility as parents, to help you themselves.
PashT007
Sometimes people fear therapy, when it's really just an avenue for mental health. Just as when we get a cold or the flu, we visit our medical doctor. It's one in the same.
eternalHero77
They are in denial there's a problem or if they do fear what will come out of you getting help and believe it can be worked on without issues coming out in the open. They also may see it as a phase you're going through that will change.
Anonymous
Your parents are probably scared. Scared of change, scared of how it's going to affect their lives, affect your life.. or maybe afraid of what others will think. Or it could be out of pride. Maybe they think you don't need help. What if they think you can handle it on your own? If you recognize you need help, there's a good chance you really do.
ItsJoel
Sometimes parents believe that you dont truly need professional help. They believe they can help you by themself sometimes it can be very difficult to wonder why they do this.
mik31299
My parents used to not let me get help with certain things as well. Sometimes I think parents are in denial about what is actually going on and need their eyes opened. I know once my parents realized I was actually sick and things were just bad they realized that the help I was asking for wasn't for attention. And then I got better.
StrongSpoonie
There are many reasons for this, but one of the key ones is that deep down they probably want to be the ones to help. They hopefully agreed to take on the challenge to support you any way they can. When they hear you want to find help elsewhere, it's like saying they failed. That said, they may not be qualified to help in certain situations, but talking to them may provide them comfort.
JillieJillie
It will have something to do with the way they were brought up. If they cannot see you need it, perhaps find new ways of showing them - even if you go as far as creating an informative powerpoint.
ChitChatBug
December 22nd, 2015 7:06am
Not to bring your parents down or anything - but they could be in denial or just not want to accept that you need someone else to help you get through what you're going through. That definitely isn't fair to you - especially if you want to get help. Luckily we have many outlets either by phone, internet or even places of business where you can go get the help you'd like with total confidentiality.
DelightfulGalaxies
They're abusive, or they don't accept that you need it, or they can't afford it. Either way if you feel like you need it, you should search for it.
Maybe they do not understand how much you need the help. Maybe you can get them to understand how important it is for you to get help.
Luckyhottubsandwhiches
Sometimes they want to be that help and be the first people you ever come to, and sometimes they are in denial that you need help other than them.
Anonymous
Maybe your parents are afraid of people thinking they are bad parents because you need help from the outside. Maybe they don't understand or want to understand that you are really in need. That's not an excuse for not letting you get help though.
gForce
First of all, maybe they would let you get help if you explained it better. Although parents are only human, and to err is human. They might never be able totally understand you, or that you need help. Try and explain it better, try to communicate. If it doesn't work, then find another person, maybe school counselor or teacher, or someone you trust, and tell them about it. If all else fails, study how to help yourself by yourself, and help yourself.
Anonymous
There are many reasons. Some parents never had to go through what you were going through, and they just don't understand. Some may think it is a waste of time or too expexnsive. Make sure you tell them everything you can so they can try to get the best understanding of what's going on. If they know that you really need help, they will get it for you.
NaomiLuna
I think parents want to think their child is perfect. It's easier for them to pretend that there isn't a problem because they might feel like they did something wrong. Sometimes being persistent with them and showing them literature can help them understand why you need to help for whatever troubles you. If not, you can get help on your own through internet, community and school services