Why do parents think they know everything?

Christy Barnes, LCSW, LISW-S

In our fast paced world today, we often get swept up in stressors and conflict. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming and lonely. I can help you find your own truth and balance.

Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 10:46am
I think if you think your parents know everything, that in some way you feel controlled by them. They aren't quite letting be yourself. They are not letting you make your own mistakes and that's a difficult thing, because mistakes are learning experiences. And our experience is what makes us a person and if you are not allowed learning experiences, how can you ever be the person you want to be. So I see why you are struggling with this. Because it is painful when you can't be yourself. It is painful to feel controlled. Parents might think they know everything, but you know everything about you.
frostman72
As a child, I am qualified to answer this. Also as a parent I am qualified to answer this. Then, again, as a grandparent, I believe I have the qualifications to answer this. Which one would you prefer to hear from? As a child, I didn't like to listen to advice my parents gave me, because I wanted to explore the world on my own. As I aged I saw the wisdom and value of listening to my elders, because many have been through the same things I was and did. Either that, or they had first hand knowledge of a given situation. Having children of my own made me realize that everything I took for granted that my parents tried to educate me or correct me on I was now dealing with with my own children. As a grandparent, I now get to see my own offspring run the same course. Parents will always know more than their children do. This does not necessarily mean book smarts, but rather it means life experience. The reason this is true, is for the simple fact that parents have had much more practice at real life than children. This by it's very nature make a parent more qualified in the practical sense of the matter. Life is simply about the stages of development. While infants crawl and teens run, adults learn to pace themselves. Most adults who are parents have learned it is how fast you run the race that life seems to be when youth is in full bloom. No, rather, it is the manner in which you tackle the hurdles that give you the bumps and bruises that teach you to have respect for the challenge that life more often than not, is.
Anonymous
As I read the question, I couldn't help but chuckle. Many parents think they know everything, but isn't the same true of toddlers, teenagers, young adults, and even grandparents? The reason that people, in general, think they know everything is that it is an intrinsic human trait. Survival is not only where you get your next meal, it is also your perception of the world and what you think is right. Everyone thinks they know everything, and everyone is wrong. That is one of the most freeing thoughts I have.
Anonymous
Because they're your parents, they want to seem superior to you. I've been there trust me. Just remember that they were kids once to so they aren't completely blind. Once you move out you won't have to deal with it as much
Anonymous
No one knows everything, however your parents may believe that they are more qualified to make decisions because they have more experience. This doesn't necessarily mean they are correct. Sometimes people are blind to their mistakes or flaws.
Anonymous
Maybe they don't and they pretend to know everything. Let them think they do, they themselves will eventually realise how much do they don't know. You opposing them will only make them pretend more as a defense. And it's not like they don't know anything, they do know some things but yeah not everything.
Anonymous
It probably because their parents did this. They shouldn't be acting like this. I see a lot of the other answers supporting the parent's side but most of the biggest issues and new discoveries occur now. It is why most parents are homophobic and racist. If something happens now, they do no believe it's true, because it didn't happen in their time. I once showed the monty hall riddle to my dad and he dismissed it as fake simply because he didn't understand it.
Markimoo
Some people believe that the older you are the more you know. This, however, is not usually true. There are rather a lot of ignorant old people out there. Everyone can not know everything. One person might know one thing while another might know another. And just because the other is younger the older one will refuse to believe them because 'they are young and do not know what they are talking about'.
Queen214
Parents only think that because they have lived longer than you and been through alot and dont want you to go through the same.
LittleLinds
Because they just want to look out for you and protect you (even though what they probably think is wrong ;-) )
JustMeAndYou
They only want the best for you, they were there from your first moments of light and will be there for you indefinitely, we are all faced with hard decisions, seeing a child grow up is hard for a parent, just be patient and love the time you spend with them !
RayeSafeSpace
Ha! This is an excellent question! I ask myself this question everyday. Why? Okay. This is what I think: Because they believe they've been through it all; every experience, every heartache every form of emotion and as a result they want to protect us (their children) from the feelings they've experienced. They can do this in a rather bossy way, mind you, because sometimes they seem to not know how to express themselves effectively but I think they try. Thing is, what they fail to understand, is that although we are their kids, we are all different individuals and would in fact handle things differently. Remember this though; it is their natural instinct to protect us. So the most we can do as their children is try to understand.
courageousOcean84
They think so because according they too have gone through the life-cycle that we are going like from being a kid to growing teen n then mature , but they never tries to understand this generation and technology gap that has actually being created.
ListeningEar13
They don't necessarily know everything. They have just experienced more situations that they have learned from.
Listless1
Parents think they know everything because they are older and have experienced more in their lives then their children.
Anonymous
Because they know that they've been in your situations once and most parents don't want to have you, their kid, to repeat the same mistake as they did in the past when dealing with the same situation.
meryjaquel
Parents think they know everything because they've spent more time on this planet than their children, they generally think they've lived through it all.
Anonymous
Parents think they know everything because they think they have all the answers and solutions toward that person's problems and struggles they may have.
Anonymous
I don't think parents think they know everything, I don't think anyone of us feel like we know everything it just may be a personal misinterpretation. Also, in certain situations they wish to impart knowledge they have gained from an experience they have had. Your situation and their experience may sound completely dissimilar and thus you gain a feeling that they "think" they know everything; but in reality they may know a little more than you do and see a connection they wish to share so you don't get hurt or go through difficult time periods that they have had.
Anonymous
Because that's how they been raised. No but parents know a lot of stuff so listen to them that's the best
Anonymous
Parents think they know everything because they've already faced a lot of the problems their children will face in life.
olimaar
Parents only try to help you make the right decision, something that can help you continue life at the fullest. They might seem bossy, rude, or like they don't make any sense, but a parent's only goal is to make your life easier, safer and happier.
Anonymous
Your parents are older and wiser. They have more knowledge and understanding. They might not know everything that is necessarily going on in your life but they only mean well for you. They could be just trying to help you with your situation.
Anonymous
Because they're older and wiser and have more experience living in the world than kids do. It's like that with most adults I think.
mackenziemeyer14
I know you don't like it but they have more experience in life and they don't want you to get hurt like they did.
dalya123
January 21st, 2016 12:25pm
Your parents are older and wiser and surely they are giving you advice from their experience because maybe they went through what you are going through, they faced what their children are facing. So they might be rude or bossy but actually they just want to help you
MessyFox
January 21st, 2016 10:15pm
Adults always think they are right in everyway and that they are doing the very best for their children because they lived longer and therefore think that they have more experience and understand how life works better than teens do, witch, loads of times, its not correct.
Truckerwife08
January 22nd, 2016 2:36pm
They have done alot of things in their lives both good and bad. They dont want you do to the stupid things that they did. They want to guide you along in life so you dont make huge mistakes that could have been prevented
briaannasaurus
No one is ever really ready to begin parenting. They've made some mistakes, you've made some mistakes. Make sure there is proper communication between you and your family.
tshgo
Because they believe their lived experiences can help others. Which is sometimes true, but life is too complex to think you know everything. We learn something new everyday.