Why do some parents stay together when they are clearly not happy?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

sublimejess12
I feel like parents do that to protect their child , whether or not the child agrees or not about it
Anonymous
That is a very good question- You are very brave to ask that- Sometimes parents stay together on behalf of their children, They might not want their children growing up without a mother or father present, they want the child growing up, knowing their parents love them, and they don't want the child to be upset if they split up and go in different directions.
warmSunshine98
Most parents stay together because of children and financial stability. some people become best friends and are happy with just that. the fear of being alone.
AndiSkies
Change (even if it is for the better) is hard. Leaving your spouse means big change. Some parents also stay together for the sake of their children.
c1ov3rda1e
Usually to support the kid, though they don't realize the negative impact and example they are giving their kid by fighting and staying unhappy. It is much worse than splitting up. Another reason might be that they're holding on to whatever love they still have and wanting to believe they still belong together... or just not wanting to go through the divorce process. It can be for so many reasons, but these are particularly common.
SocialButterfly31
I feel as some parents stay together when they are not happy because they married each other for a reason. They want to work out the kinks in the relationship versus throwing it away for a period of being unhappy because they would be more unhappy if they were not together.
Uniqueg
Some parents think they should stay together for the sake of their children without realizing that their children are observant and can see their unhappiness it's very common
Anonymous
because of their children, parents love their children and they dont want to ruin their childhood. it really hard to live with single parent...
DeborahW
Because of their children and because they think staying together would be easier or would make the children happier than if they divorced..
Brittneym101
Some parents tend to stay together even if they aren't happy because they are simply trying to keep the family together and to try to do what's best for the kids. If I was a parent and stayed together with my partner even though it was clear that I wasn't happy I would more than likely be doing it for the kids.
Anonymous
As an adult, there are many pragmatic reasons to stay together, as well as many pressures. A few reasons include: child stability (staying together for children's stability), monetary reasons (own a lot together and now they have to divide them, debt, and income security), they try to work it out, they do not believe in divorce, or they may be happy with each other, but other things around them do not make them happy (ie their jobs).
stargaze19
It may be for the sake of their child/children. Their growth is more important to them than what they prefer themselves. Children's early age is critical, and it is when they develop the most. Parents who don't want their children to grow up with some sort of resentment in them refrain from divorcing.
ClaireyMarie
Sometimes it's for the children's sake, they think divorcing/separating could damage their kids. Or they feel that maybe things can get better with time. Some people find it very hard to give up something they thought was meant to be. Even if it's painfully obvious that it isn't going to work.
Some people are different. There is no one answer fits all.Some stay together for the sake of family or kids. Some may stay together for the sake of not seeing a marriage fail. Some do it for security in knowing that they have a partner and financial responsibilities. There can be so many reasons either one or a combination. If you are having an issue with your parents, perhaps you can speak with them about how you feel.
Sunset316
For their children. Children would be devastated if they had a choice to choose between mom and dad. I love both of my parents and I'm not choosing between either of them. I love them both and I want to live with them in the same house, not visiting each other on different days.
adorableSun37
There are many reasons why people stay in unhappy relationships. Some are because of their children, some are financial status, some believe in their marriage vows. It's usually a combination of all of these factors, combined with a joint wish to choose to be "status quo" with their relationship. What do you think may be a factor?
Anonymous
When parents stay together, from what I've gathered, they stay together because they have a kid or kids. When it comes to their children, parents will do anything and everything they can to make the child happy. They want their family to stay together for the sake of the child.
Anonymous
There are so many things you have to consider when you're married and have kids. Also, some couples might not look happy together but they're just very very accustomed to have each others around and become less and less flirty over the years, but are still in love. The question is: are they keeping their kids safe, and happy? if you need to talk more about this please contact a listener :)
mynameis2015
May 3rd, 2016 4:39am
for their kids, for what all theyve been through together, they think that all the time theyve spent together is worth spending some more....
Anonymous
Many parents stay together even if they are not happy because they want to make sure th children have a good "home" life and other due to religion or socail matters.
magnanimousStrawberry75
I think some parents stay together for the children. They don't want them to have to deal with them splitting up and some can't imagine a life without each other even if they're not happy with each other.
Sometimes they think that they are doing the right thing for their kids and their family rather than for themselves.
bubblytobot
Lot of reasons: financial stuff, afraid of loneliness/being on your own, gulit, because they invested too much time into the relationship, some investment properties, hope, and maybe they don't believe in divorce.
Anonymous
Simply for the sake of the child(ren) or they could feel that the current issues aren't stronger than love. If they have survived other situations, then they may be able to find happiness once again, they both just have to be willing to put in the work needed.
Tawariell
Many things might be stopping them from having a divorce, but are You sure that they are unhappy? There might be only misunderstanding between them, but there might be still love. As well, they might stay together to keep their family, children mostly, or some kind of financial status.
Anonymous
Because they think it will make their kids happy or they are so used to being together they think it would be worse to leave or they desperate to fix what cant be fixed
SafeSpace71
From experience, my mom and dad stayed together because they felt they could work things out and also did not want to hurt us. Eventually we caught on and they ended things, but they told us they wanted to keep us happy. To summarize, they felt it would be better to keep others happy and stay together, than to go through the process of divorce and make things difficult. Plus finances are a struggle.
ItsAcidalia
some parents stay for the sake of their children. they do not wish to have their children growing up in a broken family and not getting the enough love and care while they're growing up because of their mistakes.
kandinskycat
From what I've seen, sometimes they stay together for the benefit of the child, who they feel would have a better life if the parents were together. They also might be trying to work it out and hope that in the future they'll overcome their problems, but from what I've seen with my own parents and other couples, the main priority is the child's wellbeing, and if staying together is best for the child then they might choose to stick it out.
Anonymous
It's because they thing that it is the best they can do for their children in order to keeping the family united.This can be damaging actually because they cannot erase the unhapiness too therefore affecting their children