If God will always forgive us, why do we need to even ask for His forgiveness?

Shawn Wilson, LCSW

I provide supportive counseling and psychotherapy. I utilize cognitive-behavioral and solution focused strategies to address client concerns. Personal coaching is available.

Anonymous
Interesting question! I'm not sure if I can answer most accurately, because I am not a religious teacher or someone who knows all the answers. But in simple terms, I think it establishes a deeper connection with God. Sure, we can just be sorry ourselves and not feel the need to bring God into the situation, but then we kind of isolate God out of our lives by doing so. When we can face God honestly and ask for His forgiveness even though we already know He always forgives us, it shows God how much we love Him. It's also because we ourselves must be honestly sorry for what we did; so I guess we don't necessarily "need" to ask for His forgiveness, as He already forgives us, true, but we should be able to acknowledge that what we did was wrong, and be able to face God confidently asking for forgiveness.
Exhorter4u
The best feeling a parent can have is when they are acknowledged by their child. Imagine a championship sporting event, and your child scores the winning basket. The child first response is to look up and say "Daddy!" God wants us to say Daddy. He wants us to acknowledge him in everything we do; right or wrong. God created you in His image; He knows the number of hairs on your body; He exist in the past, present and future. All we have to do is acknowledge Him; God will direct our paths. Talking daily to our heavenly Father allows us to renew our minds. Talking to the Father helps us with our relationship with Him. We are sinners, but our God is sinless. His ways is higher than our ways and so is His thoughts. We would take advantage of someone or situation. Our God will not. I hope this answers your question.
exquisiteLove08
We should ask for forgiveness so as to accept that we committed a mistake , god is like our parents ,bt like a mannered child we should be sorry to him as speaking sorry clears heart and mind
giggleSoul63
We need to ask forgiveness, to show that we have a big heart to admit that we wrong and we feel sorry about it. That is why we say sorry. To show we are humble enough and know our places that we are wrong...
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2018 3:46pm
Well, for religious reasons, people may sometimes feel guilty of what they may have done wrong so they do such a confession to express themselves and feel better. To make it blunt, people feel comfortable when they release pressure from within such as guilt and shame. In other reasons, it is to admit that we have truly done a fault that may have hurt others or your beliefs. It's like adding an extra effort when receiving such forgiveness.
Anonymous
For the reason of saying and realizing that what we have done, our sins, are wrong. When I was little my mom would tell me that "sorry" means youre not going to do it again, which of course is nearly impossible in the case of venial sins. However, us asking God for His forgiveness is us acknowledging that we've done wrong, and saying we will TRY to not do it again.
Xy224
By asking for His forgiveness, we accept that we have sinned and that we have realized what we have done is wrong.