Why do I get anxious just being around my family?

Amelia Winsby, PsyD

I often work with clients who experience a wide range of emotions and difficulties. I am non-judgmental and enjoy working with individuals from all walks of life.

Anonymous
There could be a million different reasons depending on your family's history and current circumstances. Some people are traditional and think blood is thicker than water and we should always get along with family. That doesn't make sense because we have no say about which family we're born into, and as we grow and mature, we may discover we share little in common with them. If you have mutually supportive relationships, that's great and it's healthy to try to maintain the family ties. Otherwise, it's okay to turn to friends you've gotten to know out of your own volition. Maybe talking with someone you feel confident you can trust will help you get to the bottom of what's triggering your anxiety when you're with your family. Then you can begin to decide how you want to proceed.