Do distance relationships work when both are in different unis?

Jamitia Wilson, MS, LAC

I believe that true healing occurs when one is able to honestly express how one feels about himself/herself and the world. I would be honored to support your healing change.

rose37xo
They can! I'm in one of those relationships myself. It's definitely different than closer relationships, and it comes with both its own challenges and unique things that make it special. You'll hear time and time again that communication and trust are important for any healthy relationship, and it's still true for distance ones, but keep in mind that it takes time for both of these things to develop (so don't be too hard on yourself or your partner when it's hard or when you guys mess up!). Balancing the logistical aspect of distance relationships between different unis will take time, too. You'll have to be patient with yourself and your partner as you guys figure out a rhythm that works between your two schedules, and to give a little grace when last minute things come up and a video/phone call has to be postponed. If you'd like to chat more about this, feel free to message me! I also have a thread (https://www.7cups.com/forum/RelationshipFriendshipSupport_66/UnconventionalRelationships_529/LDRs_194527/) on distance relationships where you can find others in relatable, similar situations. Hope to hear from you soon!
Anonymous
I believe that with open communication, honesty, understanding and trust a relationship can work when two partners are both at a different university. Try to make times that work to talk each day, make times to visit each other and keep each other updated on each others lives! This is a great time to figure out what you both love and what you want in the future, but it doesn't mean that you can't make it work! go out there and figure out who you are and what you want, have fun and just trust the timing and process!