How can I stop myself from feeling awkward in social settings?

Australia

Shareen Birges, Bachelor of Applied Social Science (Counselling), Graduate Diploma Youth Mental Health, Masters of Social Work (Professional Qualifying)

Accessible. Affordable. Sustainable. That's what I think counselling should be so that a lasting partnership for change can be created and goals realised.

wildghostmemories
Feeling awkward is normal and healthy. You might not be able to guess it but in every social setting, there is probably someone feeling the same way you are. It can be really overwhelming and isolating to feel like the only person feeling awkward but it is part of being a person. Which can be really difficult, it can be helpful to "challenge" yourself within your comfort zone by opening up to a friend about how you feel, they can help act as a security for you and help you feel more comfortable. However you act and feel is valid and it can help to do listening exercises to relax too.