Is it okay to not feel happiness and sadness?

Andrea Tuck, LCPC

I tackle and discuss a multitude of social and emotional health issues. I have a belief that through empowerment and non-judgmental support clients' can thrive.

Anonymous
Feeling numb is commonly attributed to depression - so yes, that is completely normal. I think it's a kind of coping mechanism for when you are feeling so many emotions at once, or it can be because you just feel disconnected from reality, helpless, alone, etc.
Anonymous
It is okay not to feel emotions like happiness and sadness. Many people struggle with feeling emotionally numb, and it is not an easy thing to endure, so please be kind to yourself and patient with yourself as you learn to cope. Sometimes feelings of emotional numbness may be a sign of depression, or even a need to be able to express your feelings in a safe setting. I would encourage you to reach out to someone for help if you are feeling this way. Please keep in mind that you are not alone in this! :)