Why do some people not like to be hugged or to hug?

Smita Joshi, BA Psychology / MA / Advanced EFT Practitioner

I am empathetic with my Clients going through emotional overwhelm and passionate in helping them. I am supportive, openminded & interactive in helping my clients.

GreyStar751
Some people can be sensitive to touch - due to past experience or just simply because they don't like being touched. And for people who do not like to be touched a hug can feel restrictive and trapping - it's very hard to escape from a hug. Whatever the reason may be - it's best to just respect that some people don't like being hugged and always ask before you hug / touch them. I know this answer is a little nonsensical but that's the best way I can explain why some people don't like being hugged. Love, Kit. xx
WiseRose
When I'm in a good place I'm always up for a hug or physical contact if it feels safe and appropriate, but there are times, especially when I'm feeling frightened or sensitive that contact feels frightening and/or inappropriate. It's not always easy to tell if someone feels ok with physical contact, or even what type of physical contact, so with hugging - I always ask. Most of the time I get it right, and people are really receptive, but sometimes people aren't in the right space for that, and that's ok. Touch is so powerful and can instantly transform a relationship, either for the better or for the worse, so it's always good to honour the power that it has and use it thoughtfully.