I feel I'm useless and i don't have anything to look forward to- so what shall i do?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

Anonymous
Sometimes when you go through alot of heart breaks and upsets in your life you tend to build a wall around you saying that nothing interests you anymore, this is because you prevent doing things so that you won't get hurt.But that also prevents you from living. Set goals and make decisions in your life, yes sometimes you may fail but there are times you may Succeed. Whatever the outcome is at least know that you tried and don't have to live with the what ifs.
ChirpCheep
If you are feeling useless and also feeling like you have nothing to look forward to, perhaps you could be having trouble feeling a sense of purpose in your daily life ? We often work ourselves into this situation when we do the same thing day in and day out and feel like we are not really making any progress towards a goal. I would suggest to think about what you ultimately want in your life. It could be as simple as a hobby, or as life changing as a career change. The main point is for you to feel like you are making some kind of progress one week to the next. Write down your end goal and work your way backwards to where you are now. What steps do you need to take to get to your goal ? Write down every detail you can. Even if you do something small, you will feel the progress you have made. The smaller the steps, the easier it will be to climb them !! So don’t be afraid for your first step to be “ Think about what I want in life for 5 minutes “ then work your way to “ write down some goals I would like to achieve for 5 minutes “ then go on from there.
Jennifer164
I'm sorry that you are in such a position and feel this way about yourself. It's understandable why you feel that way if you're going through something or have a low self-esteem but me tell you that you're not useless. There has and never will be someone like you in this world, only you can fill your space and say your piece and that is a strength. It's important to assign goals and purpose to your life. Ask yourself, what do you want, what do you wish was different in your life, you will find a goal to look forward to. If you still find it difficult, please don't hesitate to reach out for help. You're precious and deserve help and support. Take care honey!