I think I might be schizophrenic, but I'm afraid if I bring my concerns to a doctor, they'll tell me there's nothing wrong even if there is, because I already think I have it. What do I do?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

Anonymous
Schizophrenia can be considered a mental health condition characterised by delusions (unusual beliefs such as aliens), hallucinations (hearing, seeing things that do not exist outside the mind) and losing interest in everyday activities. It can be really scary and frustrating to be going through something whilst feeling like your doctor would not be receptive to your concerns. If you think you have schizophrenia the best thing you can do is meet with a mental health professional such as a licensed social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist to determine what the issue at hand is. Mental health professionals are especially equipped to manage mental health conditions because the scope of people they serve is narrower than that of a general doctor or physician. Thus, they may be more receptive to your inquiry regarding what you are going through. If feeling hesitant about this route why not reach out for support from any online therapists or listeners on our site who have lived experience or expertise in this area? I wish you the best of luck in reaching out and hope you get the support you need!
zeitwazatar
We know expressing your concerns and fears to a person, is frightening. But the doctor is the place where you're supposed to be honest so that they can help you the best way that they can. They will listen to you fairly and without judging you, and provide their assessment of whether your concerns are schizophrenia, or could be something else entirely. It's like 7cups, we're here to listen and try to help out the best the best way we can to help people feel better. Don't hesitate to reach out to the doctor. We know the online platform is a little different than seeing a doctor, but the concepts are similar. Thank you for addressing this with us. Thanks for the question, and let us know if we can do anything to help.