Is it normal to be so upset over the death of a pet?

Christy Barnes, LCSW, LISW-S

In our fast paced world today, we often get swept up in stressors and conflict. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming and lonely. I can help you find your own truth and balance.

Anonymous
Absolutely. It depends on the person how they deal with it. Some cry for weeks, some forget about it right after it happened. Whatever the reaction, it's probably understandable psychologically.
BeIiever
Grieving over any loss is completely acceptable. Accept the grief and let yourself move through it as fast or as slow as you need.
Aryore
Of course. Your pet is like your partner. You play with them, take care of them, they make you happy in return. Losing a pet is like losing a close friend, and the grief increases the closer you were to your pet.
Anonymous
Of course. Losing a pet is the equivalent of losing a best friend.
SusanHickmanPhD
November 2nd, 2016 12:14am
Yes it is! For many people, a pet becomes a trusted and beloved member of the family. And in many cases, pet owners feel their pet is the only being in their life who loves them unconditionally, despite their flaws. Many people I know have chosen not to have children and treat their pets much like a parent treats a child. So the bonding to a pet can be very strong. This means that losing this pet will induce grief just like losing a human loved one will. Resist the urge to feel "silly" when other people do not understand your grief. Treat is a normal grief in that it will take time to heal.
Kyle1989
November 21st, 2016 11:00am
Yes, it is very normal to be distraught after a pet passes. Pets are family members, and often times are much more loyal and loving than most humans. As hard as it is to lose a close companion, it will get better with time. Though it definitely isn't going to be the same, there are always pets out there waiting for your love, and they will be more than happy to reciprocate this love.
kingdom20
It's very normal. Especially if the pet was very close to you, pets can become like family to some people and when they lose them they feel like they lost a family member they really loved
Anonymous
Absolutely! Pets are part of your family. Just like losing a family member or friend, when a pet dies we go through a period of grieving. Allow yourself to feel your emotions and express them in healthy ways. In time, the memories of your beloved pet will bring happiness instead of only sorrow. Hugs...
Anonymous
Absolutely, pets are living being that in time become nothing short of family members. Intensity of grief will depend on people and how much of a "person" they consider their pet to be. Hang in there friend!
Anonymous
I had a guinea pig when I was 17 and it had babies, I was so upset when the runt of the pack died, it only lived for 4 days but we bonded so much when I had to nurse it and wake in the night to feed it. I was honestly devastated. I know people who have had dogs and had to take personal days from work to grieve. Its definitely normal!
Anonymous
A very wise person once said that the only way to take the sadness out of grieving is to take the love out of life. That's not a trade-off I'd be willing to make. Pets become part of our families. They rely on us and we rely on them. They love us unconditionally. They hear us weep and snuggle closer. Of course it's normal to feel sad after a pet dies. If your loss is keeping you from living your life (you can't go to work, you're bickering with family members) or you are still feeling intense pain after some time has passed, it might be a good idea to seek some professional help. There are therapists trained in pet loss and talking to them can be very helpful. But it's perfectly "normal" to be upset when you lose a pet.
allliie
Yes, of course. People can develop bonds with animals and become great friends with them, and it is always hard losing a friend, human or not. Allow yourself time to grieve, but know that they lived a good life and they are resting peacefully now.
caringPanda45
Pets are part of the family so it is normal to be upset over their death. It is the death of a beloved family member.
Fontaine
Pets play a huge role in our lives, be it a dog, fish or parrot. They provide an open mind, untarnished by personal bias and third-party influences. Therefore they can be just as devastating to lose as any humanoid individual. Especially since you can never really say goodbye to your pet. Speaking from experience...
Anonymous
Yes, most definitely. Pets can hold a special place in our hearts and can be like family members to us. It is very much normal to be upset over a pet’s passing and I believe you can get through this
Jennifer164
Yes it's very normal.A death of a loved one (even if he's/she's a pet) can cause a lot of grief.But you need to be strong and remember that this is just a bad phase and this will end really soon.Till then,take care of yourself!
scenicJoy56
Oh sweetheart, I’m sorry. The death of a pet can totally be an earth shattering experience. They give so much love and really become our best friends. They really become a part of the family. My family actually calls the dog (unfortunately named Hobo) mine and my sisters brother and it’s very much true! So yes, I feel like it is totally normal to be so upset after their passing. Try your best to remember the good memories you had with them and hold onto them tight. Also, if you need to there isn’t any shame in talking to a therapist or a counselor about it. You e lost a loved one and grief is grief, whether it be a human or a pet. Again, my heart breaks for you and I am so so so sorry.
ItsAcidalia
yes it is totally normal! after all, we do take care of our pets and love them will all our heart. so it is totally fine for us to cry over their death
Anonymous
Yes, it's very normal and understandable to be upset over the loss of a pet. What you are feeling is completely valid, it's ok to grieve over an animal companion.
JessUnstress
The passing of a pet is heartbreaking. They have been with you however long and missing them is hard on the heart. For me, I have lost a family dog and it hurt me so much. I was extremely upset and didn’t want to think about not having him around. But I got some very kind words when it happened and it make me realize that he was old and it was his time. I had to remember that wherever he is, he’s at peace. Knowing all of that information was what was able to get me through that time.
pattirahn
YES! The death of a pet, in my opinion, is a death of a family member. It's a very hard experience to go through. Pet owners develop deep bonds with their pets and the loss is great. Let your feelings and emotions flow. I don't think a pet will ever be replaced. I do think one can validate your feelings by finding the support of another who has dealt with the same situation and felt the feelings you're experiencing. Look to your friends who have lost pets for support and comfort. The community of people who support pets as part of the family is very compassionate and supportive.
Related Questions: Is it normal to be so upset over the death of a pet?
After you lose your best friend, how do you know when grieving them starts?I've not been able to cry for a very long time, and I really need to. Is there a method to induce crying and letting it all out ?When will this grief pain stop?I lost my mom 2 years ago and my best friend was helping me take it day by day. Last week she passed away very unexpectedly. Where do I go from here?I am struggling with loss of loved ones and am not sure how to learn to live with loss? I know being lonely causes me to look back on happier times with them in my life.When the time of my ex - boyfriend's death date comes around, I can't function. I fall into a deep depression. I won't eat or talk to anyone. How do I push myself through his death date?How to cope with grieving the loss of a parent and break up with significant other? Holidays are near. My level grief has increased. I do not want to return to an unhealthy relationship.I am grieving the loss of a parent and also a break up with my significant other. How do I cope with all this?My ex died a few months ago after a drug overdose. I can't stop thinking of him. Our relationship was a mess, but he was the boy I've loved the most. His death I feel is ruining my life. What do i do?I'm a 13 year old boy who lost my pets a month ago and lately I've been feeling a bit sick. Also I feel like I am dying and when they say I'm fine I don't believe them. On top of that I went to 7 doctors. Could this be all from losing my pets or is there something else wrong with me?