I've not been able to cry for a very long time, and I really need to. Is there a method to induce crying and letting it all out ?

Collin McShirley, LMFT

I love helping people overcome challenges with food, depression, and anxiety. My work with clients is nonjudgement, supportive, and kind.

Anonymous
things i do, when i try to cry: - looking back at past memories - listen to sad songs - watch sad movies - watch try not to cry complilations - fake cry until im actually crying - whine - get emotional
0hnoitstobyagain
Some things to try are to a) watch a sad movie, b) listen to/sing a sad song, and/or c) try to talk things out with your friends about what's been bringing you down and just let it all out.
EspritDuKaren68
Journaling might work, but why not just accept that you are not ready to let go now. When you are ready, the tears will flow. I think on a deeper level, you are aware that if you cry, issues that might be repressed will surface. And it might not be your time to face those issues yet.
Anonymous
According to me if I need to induce crying and letting it all out, I watch sad movies or listen to sad songs or read the story of people's struggles in life.
Callipiphan
Yes, however it is really hard to do unless you have experienced so deeply hard and sad things. I dont recommend it. Feel free to message me if you have further questions.
CaringMike
Try to listen to music and songs associated with significant moments from your past. Try and recall past moments of loss which can trigger a release of emotion and unresolved grief. This can be very therapeutic at times and help you get in touch with your feelings.
DeaconBlues
If I need to cry, I allow myself the space to let it all out. By spending some time alone, so that I may cry, pray, and do whatever I need to do in private, I feel much more able to resume my daily activities.
CreativListener
Sometimes I listen to the saddest music or watch a really sad movie when I need to cry to just release sadness or grief.
beautifulMelody28
Well I usually watch a movie that makes me cry or listen to really sad songs. I know it doesn't sound pretty, but when I put on P.S I love you (I know cheesy) or listen to really sad songs (Miserable at best, he stopped loving her today, Addicted, all too well, because of you...) and cry to other people's pain. Always works wonders. I hope you are able to let it all out soon, I know how painful it is to keep it all in. Good luck, stay strong x
Happyvibez
If you don't feel like crying don't, but if you feel like you want to let emotions out write just sit down and let it go write all your feelings out at the end you will feel so much better
Holdingspace01
It can be helpful to find a person or therapist you trust and feel safe with in order to explore a memory or current situation that may induce tears. Exploring the in a safe environment may enable any emotional blocks to be released.
JeshuaMorbus
Yeah, it's called sadness, it's called emotion, it's called implication in whatever can cause you to cry. Did the world shaped you this unexpressive? Mind you, "unexpressive" doesn't mean "unfeeling". You still feel. After all, you feel sadness; but something stops you to manifest it. Sometimes, going against that rule that stops you from being yourself is the method to break the dams of your tears.
SCMFireKissed
Different ways: Way1: Put a soft heart touching music. Take out a blank paper. Start writing down the issues and concerns one by one. Write down the emotions. If you feel like shouting.... express it with words If you feel like asking sorry.... write sorry any number of times.... This will make you break down and express all the emotion. Way2: Watch the movie scene that depicts the situation you are into. Play the movie with you as one of the character. At the places where the character has emotional scenes, also break down with emotion and express your self. This is more useful when you are able to relate yourself or your situation to a movie and get along with it.
Kayaondra02
Think of your emotions. Think of all the hurt that’s been done to you (If any.) This will make you sad. Think of things that have been done to others. (If any) think of your grief.
Anonymous
Be gentle with yourself in the process. I know sometimes when we want to feel an emotion or cry and can't that it can be frustrating. Try to be gentle and understanding with yourself. Also, remember that you deserve to have healing tears and work through emotions. Remember that you deserve to feel emotions and that healing tears will come. Sometimes it is a process to get there. Sometimes we have to allow ourselves to be more vulnerable or get to a stage that our bodies feel like tears can happen.
Anonymous
First of all, crying is normal, and it can also help relieve stress. Some good ways to help release these pent up emotions would be to listen to a sad song or try talking about your feelings, sometimes this can help them come to the surface if they are buried deep down and need to be let out.
Tyedyedbutterfly65
I am not sure there is one method that works for everyone , I can only answer for myself. I can look at my families pictures that have passed away or a memory that I can think of or sometimes it just happens. You can share with someone how you are feeling and you can also give yourself permission to cry so many believe its not okay to cry.
Anonymous
express your feelings . If you can not cry then you have become a stronger person . Think or talk about something that you are very sensitive about or something that bugs you .
plantbudd
Rather than making yourself cry perhaps find more constructive ways of letting it out such as through painting or expressing yourself through music. Eventually it'll work its way out.
youarefilledwithdetermination14
I personally experience the exact same thing. I force myself to yawn to let the tears out, but the rest is just emotional. You can cry internally without crying externally. Just allow your emotions to release. That is the best thing that you can do. Push it out of you, yell, or run, or sing, anything to release the tension. Do this, like I do on a regular basis, and it should help a lot with the emotional overwhelming. If you do not release this stress, it can build up and cause many psycho and physiological symptoms, like blood pressure and depression
Anonymous
Crying is cathartic and helpful. And you feel a need for that as well. First step is to stop trying too hard and pressurizing yourself about it. Its important to be compassionate to oneself. Once this pressure is lifted give yourself some alone time. Just try to be with yourself in that time. Then visualize the crisis situation. Use all your sense organs to bring that alive. So much so that you feel that you are reliving that situation. The idea is not to cause distress to you but to help you be in the situation and bring out the distress so that you are able to feel it all and cry if you have to. Once you do that, please know that it is all right to cry. And it is all right to not cry as well. I wish you well.
Anonymous
Crying is an excellent way of venting out your emotions. Whether it be happy or sad. Not being able to cry is actually not healthy coz you might end up having dry eyes or even an emotionless person.. But don't worry.. it's okay coz people are different and it's their differences that make them unique... And you are a unique person! Think about it ! You are so much better off that those hypersensitive people crying buckets at the slightest possible emotion.. How about you think of the saddest incident in your life and see whether you'd cry.. And If you don't, then cut onions.. that will surely activate those tear glands!
wishfulCaramel27
I go for a walk to clear my head of everything and think about what has me sad. I remind myself of the small detail and push the crying. This usually helps me because I am able to cry and when I start crying it's like the gates open and I am not able to stop them. The thing for me is being alone because I don't like when people see me cry it makes me feel weird or weak I guess you could day. This way it is my own private time and I don't have to worry about anything or anyone else at that time.
Anonymous
i look for things that touch me. or I try the opposites. from very metro upbringing. when i visit coastal...cliffs...I cry when waves crash. when I see miles of oceans. or if life is tough, spend a little bit checking into posh hotel....jump start. treat self nice. that will start the tears Or look for people that genuinely treat you well. being touched makes me cry too....approaching someone who cares, whom i trust...helps me cry going to poorer communities helps (if youre originally from posh place) Go on an adventure...that helps me cry. Give yourself a break...that helps me cry. Be nice to self...that helps me cry. or be brutally honest. Good luck!
Anonymous
I usually carry a journal wherever I go, whenever I have a hard time understanding my feelings, I just start writing and eventually my feelings spill out. It can be hard to cry but it will eventually happen and it will feel so much significantly better and you will have a better mindset. Crying is hard to do when you do not know how you are feeling but writing in a journal has always helped me. Another option for me is to talk to someone about it, I find it easier to talk or journal about it because it lets me feel safe
SilasTheRedPanda
A good way to start a flow of emotions is to talk to somebody, whether it be a counselor, parent, friend, or sibling about what's going on. Even having an emotionally raw conversation can start to let out the feelings you have restricted. I used to just vent to myself in the mirror at times, whilst listening to music. This can be a way if you have nobody you can talk to, just looking in a mirror and talking aloud about your problems can be very helpful. I really hope this helped you out. Good luck on your journey. -Silas
Returncontrol2u
Crying, in my opinion, is like being overwhelmed with sadness. It seems to me emotional control dampens this tendency to cry. some would consider it a good thing to not cry too much. Others don't cry and think there is something wrong with them. I believe if you don't cry, you probably have not been experiencing feelings that overwhelm you. I used to think I have to cry to be happy, but as I have aged I have come to realize that crying by itself does noting to heal me. Many people who cry let the feeling go because they cried about it. More of a marker in time rather than the actual release. If you release the feelings without crying, you may not need the marker. You may be one of the lucky few who understands emotional control and release enough to not be overwhelmed anymore by the smaller feelings we get day to day. It is an important distinction between handling your feelings to not cry and not crying because you have closed yourself off. If you are asking how to cry, be sure to answer the question, do I need to cry, first. This will be a mental check on your emotional state and possibly eliminate a worry that is not useful.
joyfulShell72
Try and see a very sad movie, listen to sad songs. You can try to make it all dark, and sit in a room and close your eyes. You can try to meditate. Sometimes taking the name of lord also induces tears. But you need to take the name of your favorite god - whomever you believe in... Other methods include, getting a bad haircut, screwing up your dinner, thinking about parents if you don't stay with them, thinking about someone beloved who left you some time or long time back. I hope this post shall help you cry. :)
roomyheart
This is something I have struggled with, so I culminated a library of movies that I call "emotional laxatives." They are movies that I can't get through without crying, and watching them guarantees the water works will turn on and flow. Once the process begins (like when I hit the part of the movie that makes me lose It) I find it is not as hard the next time I need to cry. Often, people feel that if they start crying, they won't stop. It isn't true, it just feels like it is. My emotional laxative movies bring relief every time! What movies might do this for you?
Anonymous
I've been through that, it can feel really stressful and weird. I remember thinking, why can't I cry, even though I'm sad all of the time? It's really confusing and frustrating. But I find that looking up sad stories online, or watching sad videos of other people can help me just let it out. Maybe it's because I was numb to my own situation and couldn't cry about it anymore, even though I needed to. So then when I would hear about another painful story, I would feel for them, if that makes sense. When you do feel like your about to cry, just let it happen. Don't hold it in, make sure you are somewhere safe and no one is going to laugh at you. Be alone or with your friend. And when it happens, let it absorb you, even if you cry for hours.