Am I gay if I am attracted to someone who is the same sex?

Angela Serritella, LCSW , CADC

Mental Health is a journey of learning to understand yourself, thoughts, and emotions. I feel that this is a journey that is best taken with support.

Anonymous
Being attracted to someone of the same sex does not necessarily make you gay, there is a whole spectrum of sexualities and not labelling how you feel is equally okay. For example, you could be bisexual, if you are also attracted to people of the opposite sex. I recommend waiting and growing into a label that suits you, but try not to be concerned about it, it’s sonething everyone experiences.
Missingperiodsandcommas
Not at all. Sexuality is a spectrum, it's fluid. You could be bisexual, pansexual or you could just appreciate beauty in all forms. Try not to get hung up on labels, it doesn't matter 'what' you are, love is love and exploration is a perfectly normal healthy part of finding out who you are as a person.
Anonymous
If you mean gay as in homosexual, possibly. If you mean gay as in queer, I'd go for a hard maybe. There's the possibility that you will choose to identify as something other than heterosexual. You might want to ask yourself if it is attraction to this person, or simply admiration. People are conditioned to admire beauty, whether it is same-sex or not, and it might be a good idea to find where your attraction lies on the spectrum.
Anonymous
its definitely a possibility, and theres nothing wrong with feeling that attraction toward the same sex.
BraveWings116
The LGBTQ spectrum is broad and ever-changing. You could be bisexual, you could be gay, or you could simply have a same-sex crush on that individual. It is up to you to find out which it is, but really my advice is to have fun (while being safe) and not stress too much about it. We are who we are and we will eventually figure it out, so it isn't something to obsess about. Once you have more experience with dating and attraction, this should resolve itself and you will understand your sexuality better. Also, know that we can be fluid in our sexuality, meaning that it can change throughout our lifetimes. So don't stress it. :)
If you are only attracted by people of the same gender as you, then your feelings would match the definition of homosexuality. If you are also attracted by people of the opposite gender, then your sexuality would fall in the bisexual spectrum. Only you can determine it for sure, by listening to your own feelings, emotions and desires, and being as honest with yourself as you can.