am i gay if i can only get off on lesbian porn? p.s. ive identified as straight my whole life (help!)

Rory Boutilier, Registered Professional Counsellor, B.A. (Honors, Psychology)

I use a client-centered, solution-focused approach. Particular interests in: self-injury, depression, anxiety, life stress, and change.

Anonymous
No, not necessarily. You might just like lesbian porn, it doesn't mean that you want to have sex with a girl. If you do, maybe you're just curious and want to experiment. And that's totally okay. There's no need to worry about it. Just take your time to figure out your sexuality. I also started questioning my sexuality because of the same reason. After a couple of months, I realised that I was bisexual. However, It wasn't because of porn that I "turned" bi. I was bisexual almost my whole life, but I didn't realised it. For me, porn was kind of what triggered me into questioning my sexuality. What I mean is, just because you like porn, that doesn't mean that you're gay.
Anonymous
Your sexuality isn't defined by what porn you watch but by what people you're attracted to. Not attracted to the same gender? - Not gay. Attracted to the same gender? - You could be gay or bi or pan etc.
Anonymous
I am the exact same way. Although I can’t say that I’m 100% straight. I can say I’m exploring. But I feel the exact same crisis.
Fantasies and attraction are not the same thing: one may have sexual fantasies that do not correspond to the sexual attraction experienced in everyday life towards other people. If you enjoy lesbian porn, but having actual homosexual intercourses in your life is not appealing to you and you are attracted towards the opposite gender in real life, than you can still identify yourself as straight. Moreover, your sexual orientation is nothing more than what you feel you are, so if you feel heterosexual and you wish to identify yourself as such, that's who you are! In case you realize you're also attracted to your same gender in real life and not just fantasies, then you can question and explore your sexuality without fear or uneasiness, because even if you weren't what you always thought you were, that would be totally ok!