Any parents of an lgbt teen that recently came out? I am and am struggling. Anyone else?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

I am not in your situation, but as an LGBT person myself, I can tell you that all your kid needs right now is empathy. Let them express themselves, listen to them, try to understand how they feel. Ask them questions if you wish, but always in a respectful manner. Above all, let them know you believe them and support them. Feeling like the people we love doubt our identity can really hurt, your kid has probably struggled a lot before telling you this and now all they need is your acceptance. It's always your son/daughter, worthy of love as always, so just let them feel love. They can live a happy and normal life just like anyone else, but they'll need to feel accepted for who they are. And if you can, try to learn more about the LGBT identities, so you'll get a better idea of how they feel.